Am I Missing Something?

Stepping outside is a terrible shock. The lovely land from moments before was gone, replaced by something dark and ugly and terrifying, I shut my eyes before opening them again. The grass, which had been emerald green, was actually dark brown and dead, the sky a deep purple and the water a very murky green. Turning back to go inside I was shocked to see that the door was completely gone. Two plump young boys stood before the now empty space, smiling at me with ear-splitting grins. Sharp fang-like teeth glistened and wide bloodshot eyes reflected me.

Snatching my hands up in their pudgy one’s I was dragged behind them as they began walking. Both of them were extremely tall, I scarcely came up to their knees! Turning I craned my neck to look back, still disbelieving I was trapped here. Thinking on it, I realize the bigger problem is there are two strange people leading me to an unknown destination.

“Who are you? Where are you taking me?” I asked in a quavering voice, making them grin wider if that was possible.

“I’m Tweedle Dee and this here is Tweedle Dum” Began the one holding my right hand.

“We are taking you to the Hatter’s Tea table,” Said Tweedle Dum walking more quickly now” as per instructed by the Hatter and the Hare.” Finished Tweedle Dee finishing his twins’ sentence perfectly.

“I don’t know the any of those people!” I almost yelled frustrated, earning a quiet sigh from the twins, Tweedle Dum muttered something under his breath. Suddenly they threw me forward, releasing my hands enough to make me fly through the air. Screaming I collided with someone’s broad chest, the breath knocked out of me. I was caught in a tangle of delicate hands and long fingers. My head hit a thimble thumb making me whimper in pain.

"Don't be treating her in such a rough manner!" The man I assume is the Hatter snarled at the twins viciously.

"Sorry." They both mumbled in unison bowing their heads.

"No I'm sorry, I lost my temper with you both but you must understand, she is the key to every ones happiness." The hatter finishes quietly before looking down at me.

"Um, hello." I say nervously looking into his red eyes. If I make him angry, he might drop me, which would certainly cause my doom.

"Oh my dear Alice, I didn't mean to frighten you!" He says as though reading my mind, gently he smiles and his eyes turn a very bright blue “My, that dress is not very appropriate for a proper young woman!"

"I'm not a very proper young woman though, my mother says so all the time-"I begin before a very agitated voice interrupts me from the bushes.

"What a vile thing to say!"A white rabbit in a waistcoat steps out of the bushes followed by brown and more scraggly looking hare, both look extremely harassed. The hare just shakes its head allowing me to see its right eye is swollen and red. Instead of commenting on his opinion of my mother I realizing something spectacular yet insane.

'The rabbit just talked!' I think to myself in wonder.

"If you don't mind my asking," I begin glancing at everyone “where is this place?" All at once, everyone begins shouting at me.

"Silence!" Hatter yells making a fist with his empty hand, and then very sweetly he says," All of your shouting has confused Alice. She doesn’t remember what’s happened."

"Then let her be confused," Says a nasty voice from the tree branch above us. Looking I see a very fat rat lazily swinging his tail back and forth" She chose to leave so she should have to remember on her own."

"That was a rather rude thing to say, now wasn't it? She did it to protect us you ungrateful idiot" A very smooth voice says from the air next to me.