Chapter Five.

"Ah it’s so pretty!" I exclaim looking at the castle before us. It's lit with a rainbow array of colored lights in each window looking like glowing candy disks. All around the perimeter of the castle waiting to take invitations, some of them are leading horse drawn carriages around the back of the castle. The bath to the door is short and we arrive before I know it.

"Invitation." A card stops us holding out his spear to create an ‘x’ formation with the other guard, he’s polite about it but I get the feeling no nonsense will be tolerated.

"I don-" I begin before Hatter steps forward shoving a crumpled invitation into his hand.

"May we go in now? It's rather chilly and our lady and children must be cold." He says as Chesh materializes onto my shoulders once more, making me jump slightly. No answer just a brief nod before we are ushered inside so the next group and present their invitations. It is just as lovely inside, I catch my feet stumbling because I am looking everywhere but ahead.

"Alice quit oggling like an idiot and pay attention!"Caleb says tapping his knuckles against the back of my head in a playful manner.

"Caleb be polite, the Queen is watching you." The Bandersnatchs warns before smiling warmly at a passing group of girls, all of which are showing most of their chests.

"Hello everyone." A very small and childish voice trills making everyone fall silent" What? Are you not going to bow before your queen?" The small girl sitting on a throne asks angrily. Her red curls have been swept up into a loose bun, letting some frame her small face. A scepter with a heart-shaped gem is held in her left hand while she leans on her right.

Slowly each man kneels down to one knee, each woman curtsies. I dip into a curtsy as well, making sure both of the twins are kneeling.

It feels like hours later when the Queen finally bangs her scepter on the floor, making everyone look at her.

"I am very happy you all came. As you all know this ball is in celebrations of my sixth birthday, so please enjoy."She says pausing a moment," Also anyone who is sick on the ballroom floor, will lose their heads. Let the celebration begin!"

"Is she serious?" I turn to ask Hatter only to find that he, Caleb, and the Bandersnatch are all missing.

"It seems they've gone to speak with others or it’d look suspicious." Tweedle Dee says looking around wearily at all the people.

"She really does mean they'll lose their heads though."Tweedle Dum says nervously clutching my skirt as he watches the crowd moving around us.

“Let’s get something to eat, sound good?” I ask and both twins nod happily as we begin heading for the table of food. We have just started walking when her voice stops me in my tracks.

"Who are you?"The Queen asks folding her arms across her chest, her eyes glisten with what look like unshed tears but perhaps it’s just the lighting.

"I am-" I begin but like magic Caleb suddenly appears out of nowhere, wrapping an arm around me.

"You know her.” Caleb says looking at the Queen whose eyes have widened hugely.

"What is your name?" She asks rather curtly for a child while twisting a curl around her finger.

“Alice, my name is Alice.” I never thought I’d get tired of introducing myself but I’m beginning to hate my name. Scarlet rushes to the little Queens face, what looks like a tantrum is brewing behind her heated gaze.

"You lie!”She shrieks outraged swinging her scepter at me with childish force. Caleb reaches and grasps the end, I turn to stutter a thank you but the look on Caleb’s face makes me think again. Complete calm has washed over his features, no emotions whatsoever, he looks exactly as he did when he and Hatter were silently communicating.