Chapter Six.

"Tell me if it hurts okay?" I say making Camilla nods as though she trusts me completely; I go to work on the pin she’s already tangled. Giving it a gentle tug in the right direction it slides out smoothly and she doesn’t even wince. We sit in a comfortable silence as I remove the pinks and set them in a small pile beside my legs. As I thought one large pin was used to hold most of her hair in place, only a few small one’s were used to keep smaller pieces where they belonged.

With a tug all her hair goes tumbling down over her back and a soft sigh escapes from her mouth.

"Thank you, it was so heavy on my head!" She’s running a small hand through the slightly tangled mess and turning to face me. Wide blue-grey eyes plead with me and I know I’ll cave to whatever she asks. "Will you help me wash it?"

"I couldn’t tell the birthday girl no, could I?" I say with a tender tone to my voice, the words seemed to have been in my mouth for a long time, though I’m sure I’ve never uttered them before, not even to my sisters or mother in the other world. No, the Hare said she wasn’t my real mother.

"Yay! This is the best birthday ever, thank you mo-Alice! It’s just like it use to be!" She cries happily running into an adorning room.

    I walk after her slowly, letting my fingers brush on the cool wood of the doorway. What feels like a jolt of electricity runs up my fingertips and I yank my hand away from the door. I decide to think on other things, like my family here Caleb and Hatter; I can trust them to look after the twins while I'm away right?

 "Can you do the water?" Camilla asks digging in a cabinet for something.

"Sure, what temperature do you want?" I ask looking at her small figure, she reminds so much of my sister when she was younger.

"Hot! Like you use to run it for me!" She exclaims emerging from the cabinet with a bottle of something. Uncapping the lid the scent of freshly picked strawberries fills the air sweetly; bubble bath is what the bottle contains. I turn the red knob, adding some cold so it’s hot, but won't burn. Water gushes out or multiple faucets, roaring like a waterfall.

“What do you mean like I use to run it for you?”

"Mmm my favorite scent!" She says dumping nearly the entire large bottle into the tub. Instantly pink bubbles begin forming, this is a distraction from my question I just know it, though before I can ask again Camilla has already managed to get into the water and is now lurking someone in this bubbly forest.

 “Go get your shampoo so I can wash your hair.” I command and tiny movements can be seen in the bubbles as she swims across the tub sometimes mountains of bubbles that must be as tall as or taller than me, will shudder as she passes beneath them. I can see bubbles twitching as she draws closer.

"Here."A pair of bright eyes peers from within the fortress of bubbles, a hand holds out a delicate looking glass bottle filled with pink soap to me. I accept it carefully and pour a generous amount into my hand.

"Wheres you hair?" I ask gently and Camilla cuts a space for her head in the bubbles. I apply the shampoo but when I lean down to rinse off my hand I’m pulled forward into the deep tub. I surface sputtering and shoving soaked hair from my face.

"Camilla!" I growl shoving bubbles out of the way to find the now hiding child “I’m soaked, are you happy now?" I ask and am rewarded with lots of giggles and laughs from a soap pile on my right, she won’t get away this time.

"Yes! I wanted you to bathe with me!" She squeals as I manage to catch one of her slippery arms.

"Why didn't you just say so? Now my dress is soaked!"