Chapter Eight.

I don't know where I am, or where I came from, all I know is that it is dark. The smell of my sister’s perfume brings me back to reality. A cold washcloth is being dabbed against my forehead and the lullaby my mother sings for us is being hummed. I groan and try to open my eyes.

"Alice, have you returned to us?" A very familiar voice asks me, comforting isn't the word I want but it is close enough.

"Alice, dear sweet Alice please open your eyes!" Someone whispers and I fight the bile rising in my throat. I know this persons voice well, it whispered many sweet things to me, promised me a life of love, laughed with me, and it also lied to me. The people speaking are the people that showed me back to wonderland.

"What has happened, why am I here?" I ask not bothering to open my eyes.

"We felt badly for what we did. Alice please don't tell anyone!"Lucy, the person I thought was my sister, says letting large tears run down her face. I don’t have to look at her to know she’ll have brought out crocodile tears, just as she did when she was in trouble with our mother.

“I don’t care about your reputations, so you can drop the acts.” I snap sitting up quickly and opening my eyes. Lucy wipes the tears from her cheeks and narrows her eyes at me before whispering something into Harold’s ear. His eyes widen and the sickly sweet smile slides off his lips to be replaced by a slimy smirk.

"Alice you must answer carefully or things between our fathers companies could take a turn for the worst."Harold threatens, knowing the person I cherish most in my family is my father.

“What are my choices?” I ask ignoring the part of me that wants to fight; the tame Alice who does as she’s told is suppressing her as I’ve been doing my entire life. I left my eyes drop to the floor and sit docile as Lucy begins to wipe my forehead with the washcloth again, gentle and caring. I hate her. I hate him too.

“You can marry me, bear me a son, and allow me to continue my personal affairs with your sister without questions or complaints.” He names option one and the hate grows hotter in the pit of my stomach” Or your fathers company can go bankrupt and your sisters and you will be sold off into prostitution, your mother a maid, and your father will be thrown in jail.”

“Are those my only options?” Emotionless, the fire rises as my sister smiles while wringing out the cloth in cold water.

“Those are your options Alice, and you wouldn’t want Daisy sold off into prostitution would you? She’s such a young girl.” Lucy says wiping down my arms and neck now. The fire burning in my gut is fueled with each stroke of the cloth. Harold watches contentedly now that I’m being cooperative again.

“May I have some time to think on it?”

“No.”Harold answers shortly and I respond with silence.

"Please give us your answer Alice!" My sister says looking menacing more than upset, the once soothing strokes of the washcloth turn rough.

"Hurry and choose Alice!" Harold pressures me again, this time touching my arm which makes my skin crawl in turn.

"Let me be, I do not wish to be in this world any longer! Marry Lucy if you wish be leave me alone!" I scream flinging his hand off me, then watching in horror as everything around me shatters like glass. The pieces swirl around me in a lovely yet deadly dance, until it implodes, a shard catches me in my back and several cut my arm. A bright light flares to life and I squeeze my eyes shut against it.

"Alice!" A voice that makes me very happy to hear says echoed by another exactly the same save a small tone difference.

"Hello boys." I manage to whisper weakly" Are you all right? You didn't get hurt did you?"