Chapter 19: Amelian

"Abandon your Captain?" Amelian asked, as the stony faced shadow in the mechanic's coat nodded grimly, as she lead the march across the deck, towards the controls. Around them, most of the crew stared down at the shrinking Causeway, the two figures difficult to make out in the distance.

Beside them, Valen nodded emphatically. "I don't like it, but we might have to," he said, pointing below as the space between the Captain and the Rider exploded into a swirling mass of fire. The old Sergeant looked grief-stricken as he spoke. "I've seen Crafters scourged from less."

Amelian blinked in confusion. "Scourged?" She asked.

"It's when a Crafter's will is consumed by the desire to use the flame. They go berserk, and start using their power on anything they can reach," Lucille explained, as they gathered around the helm. The stately engineer at the helm nodded to them, politely, without letting his hands leave the wheel.

The ship was drifting in a wide circle around the battle below, as the Captain and the Rider shattered the battlements and carved chunks out of the causeway they fought on.

"Are you suggesting the Captain is already beyond salvage?" Amelain asked.

"Not yet," The shadow insisted, and her voice broke in a visceral hiss of disgust as she spoke. "But every second he's still down there increases his risk. That being said, either of them could casually rip the Songbird apart."

"Which means we can't get close," Amelain said. She stared down at the swirling maelstrom below, and shook her head. "I would never have believed it."

"We have to get close to pick him up," Valen insisted. "Close, and slow enough that he can actually grab the rope. That's impossible as long as the Rider is still fighting."

"So we need a way to give the Captain the upper hand," Amelian finished, turning back to her Sergeant. The old man smiled and nodded once, in obvious approval. She was relieved to see him agree with her. As reluctant as he seemed to step into the fight below, he seemed to have no desire to simply quit the field.

"We have nineteen soldiers, nine engineers, enough Salamanders for everyone, and a single Shadow," Lucille counted out loud. "What you're talking about would require Valkyries, or other Crafters."

"Or a bomb," the Helmsman said, without turning around. "Why not use the ammo chest?"

Amelian reeled, and was slightly relieved to see Valen as surprised as she was. Having a civilian suggest battlefield strategy in the field was almost as surprising as the ship he rode in on.

"I like it," the shadow said, with a grin Amelian wanted to describe as feral. "Maxwell, can you turn the ship sideways without sacrificing forward momentum?"

"Aye, ma'am," he replied, with a chuckle in his voice. He cracked his knuckles, and flexed his fingers over the wheel. "Is your plan to have us pass over its head at full speed, have the soldiers shoot salamanders off the port side to distract it, and drop the bomb starboard?"

"Yes, but you said it first, so you get credit. Get us in motion. We'll be ready," Lucille ordered, stepping away.

Amelain followed closely behind, with Valen only a couple of steps away. "Did you catch the essence of that, Lieutenant?" Lucille asked.

"Aye, Commander," she replied. Official rank wasn't clear, especially with how ship ranks would fit into the official chain of command. Chances are, she would outrank the shadow in most circumstances, but she deferred to military courtesy, and acknowledged her rank on what was now, with the Captain below, her ship.

Lucille glanced back towards her, confused for a moment, but nodded respectfully. "Maxwell is going to take us to the Rider. We will pass directly over its head, but we will pass with the ship turned sideways. The port side of the ship," she explained, gesturing with her left hand, "will be pointed to the Rider as we pass over it. I want every available hand shooting a Salamander at it, except for the special detail that will throw and detonate the ammo chest."