Chapter 20: Tabitha

There were times, few and far between as they might be, when she appreciated her Shadow.

Mathias' restraint was an unusual quality for an Evaluator, who were often encouraged to safeguard the City at the expense of their charge. Most would have attempted to kill her before now, and even if she survived, she would be marked for death by the Bureau of Oversight.

Instead, she had six years to build her ships, and at least one night to fly them. Part of her felt she should express some gratitude. Or at least be less sullen about his presence aboard her ship.

It was a courtesy she didn't feel the gunnery crew had earned yet.

"If you don't have a job to do, make damned sure you're not in the way!" she shouted at some inept Corproal, after he managed to stumble his way into the path of a pair of mechanics testing the cooling lines. He saluted smartly, shouting, "Apologies, ma'am!"

Behind her, Mathias shrugged and said "Better they make these mistakes now than when we're in the air."

"True," she agreed, as she glanced up at the lift bag. Crews above her had already removed the scaffolding, leaving the ship completely unimpeded. With a little flame, this ship would fly. "It reminds of something my cheeky apprentice said, a few days ago."

"If at first you don't succeed, flying isn't for you?" Mathias asked, his grin visible beneath that stupid hat of his. He glanced back to the Spire once, and shuddered. "I hope you're not planning on following his route to the walls."

She followed his gaze to the Spire, and her breath caught in her throat. The column of fire pouring out of the earth, even from miles away, was an intoxicating sight. To wield it would give her a life the likes of which nothing else in the world could offer. Seizing the Bore would give her eyes that could see hundreds of miles, arms that could reach across and beyond Central, and a heart that would never go out.

She forced herself to close her eyes and turn away. She found Mathias's gaze, scrutinizing her, and shook her head. "No. I shouldn't be anywhere near that."

"How long will the trip take, if we can't follow your apprentice?" Mathias asked.

Another courtesy. He spoke to her as if her fear of the Spire were perfectly normal, masking her condition from the soldiers and crew. "Almost two hours," she said.

He nodded, politely, before he took a step back and fell silent.

The fool had better not have fallen in love with me, she though to herself. I can't afford to have him hesitate, and he promised he wouldn't.

"Lieutenant!" she called out, as the last of the gunnery crew stepped over the railing and onto her deck. The man she called out to lacked the usual pips on the shoulders that identified soldiers, but his sword seemed to drink heat, an effect she could feel in the air.

The Lieutenant saluted as he caught sight of her, standing at rigid attention. As she approached, he seemed to shrink back a little, and his legs twitched nervously. It was not an unusual reaction, for a civilian. From a soldier, it seemed a little silly. "Lieutenant Adrian Keates, ma'am. My people are accounted for and ready for action."

She frowned, as Mathias stepped beside her and asked, "Which Brigade were you detached from, Lieutenant?"

Lieutenant Keates impressed her with the look of deep disdain he fixed Mathias with. He turned back to her, and asked, "Shall I escort the civilian off your ship, ma'am?"

She laughed, harder than she had in months. It took her a dozen seconds or more simply to regain her composure. Lieutenant Keates grinned a little, and even Mathias smiled.