Sinners and Saints Chapter 17 - Angelito

The room has been ransacked. 

My mattress is askew and all of my drawers have been opened and dumped out.  My wardrobe contains nothing but open hangers.  The desk drawers are hanging open and my laptop is face-down in the corner. 

None of that really surprises me.  I hope my laptop isn’t damaged, but I actually expected them to go through my stuff.  And, to be honest, they really didn’t do that thorough a job.  None of the furniture is moved.  The bed hasn’t been stripped or slashed.  The curtains haven’t been taken down. 

This is a warning.  “We’re watching you.” 

I step around it all and find a black cardigan to cover my sweaty shirt and close my door again. 

“Let’s go,” I tell Mona.  She leads me up a level and toward the center of the building.  We just make it inside and find seats at the last table before a priest stands up to give grace. 

Mona and I keep our heads down throughout our meal, eating slowly.  “My room was searched,” I mumble quietly, keeping my dinner roll in front of my mouth in case we’re being watched. 

“Are you surprised?” she whispers back. 

“No,” I take a tiny nibble and pat my lips, “Doesn’t look like they found or took anything.  Was a warning more than anything else.” 

“Keep dawdling over dinner,” she tells me, “We want to be in the back pew for evening Mass.” 

We do and we are.  Mona guides me through when to stand and when to sit and when to answer back.  It’s not that bad, really.  Mass is supposed to last an hour, but we are done in forty minutes.  Mona pulls me quickly around a corner and poofs us directly into my room. 

“Grab your stuff and go take your shower,” she tells me, “I’ll start cleaning up in here.” 

“Thanks,” I smile and take my toiletries bag and pajamas into the shower.  I’m already running conditioner through my hair before anyone else comes in. 

The women are chatting to themselves in Italian – laughing and giggling quietly.  Other showers turn on and my water pressure goes down. 

I finish quickly and grab my towel to dry off.  My arms and face are so dry they itch, so I grab my lotion and apply a generous amount.  Maria was very thorough. 

Once outside, I nod at the woman waiting for my stall and dress quickly.  I decided to go for a man-style PJ set in fuzz-backed satin.  They’re modest and light enough that I won’t swelter in the late-May heat.  But the lining keeps them from clinging anywhere.  They’re black with various medical-cause ribbons patterned over them.  Surely that’s innocent enough? 

I wrap my hair up in my towel and move to the sink to brush my teeth.  There’s a woman at the other end of the vanity – completely naked – sponge-bathing herself with a washcloth and a sink full of soapy water.  She’s old and her breasts hang to her waist. 

I blush and avert my eyes as she raises her arm and exposes a very hairy and wrinkly armpit. 

I finish up as quickly as I can, deciding that I can floss in my room with my hand-held mirror.  Just as I’m repacking my toiletries bag, she heaves one flabby leg on the counter and I decide to take the long-way back to the door. 

That sight almost made me forget Mona and Giselle’s ménage a trios.  

Mona has most of the hanging clothes back up already and the rest of the stuff piled on the bed, which she’s reset and straightened up.  My laptop is back on my desk and I’m relieved to see that it seems undamaged.