Sinners and Saints Chapter 45 - I Say a Little Prayer for You

I confront Bishop the next day and he admits that – after the five of them outbid everyone else at the auction – they closed the doors and went toe to toe.  Things got a little nasty. 

“I don’t think any of us would really have hurt each other,” he chuckles, “But when Giselle turned into a tiger and Mona turned into a lion, they called security.  It wasn’t until Drake turned into a dragon that the police were notified.” 

“Do I even want to know?” I frown at him. 

“No one got hurt,” he snorts, “Memories were changed to protect the innocent.  Once we all calmed down a bit and took a breather at the pub, we realized that all of us had the exact same plan, so we drew lots to see who would buy them and Drake won.” 

“Did he now?” I ask, suspicious. 

“That’s all I’m saying,” he gives me a wink, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a “Father Jonas” meeting to get to – only it’s with Darius.”

At nine on the twenty-fourth, I meet Jamie and Father Jonas at Manny’s. 

“Claire, my dear,” the good Father takes my hands, “How is your assignment going?” 

“It’s progressing well,” I tell him with a smile, “How are you?” 

“Never better,” he waits for me to sit, “And I hear you’re back in your own home now too?” 

“Yes,” I nod and Manny comes over with a coffee pot and my empanadas both, “Back in my little sanctuary.” 

“Delightful,” he chuckles, “I came over to bless it before you arrived.  Drake did a fine job.” 

“It’s beautiful,” I agree, “Where’s Jamie?” 

“He’s running a few minutes behind,” Father Jonas shrugs, “Being in love does that.” 

“In love?” I ask, nearly missing my cup with the spoon I intended to stir my cream and sugar with. 

He just chuckles. 

“That’s great,” I stir and hear the roar of a Harley coming from the lot outside, “Who’s he in love with?” 

“Look,” he smirks and points out the window. 

Jamie gets off the bike and picks Anne up from behind him, setting her neatly on the ground and giving her a kiss that really should be saved for private. 

Anne?  

Anne?  

My sweet little Anne who endured so much – is now in leathers. 

Huh?” is all I can think. 

First of all, I have no idea how she got here.  I left her – healed and stripped of her memories – happy as a clam back at the Vatican.  But beyond that – she’s obviously no nun anymore. 

“How?” I sputter. 

“Our Pontiff – in his wisdom – thought it would be a good idea to separate her from her - ,” he frowns and crosses himself, “Abuser.  Even though you did a fine job with each of them, he felt that the belt and suspenders approach would be best.  So he sent her to me.  James met her at the airport and it was love at first sight.” 

“Great,” I say, still a little stunned. 

“Happy birthday, Claire,” Jamie reaches down and kisses the top of my head, “I think you remember Anne?”