𝐢. FOR SOME BREAD

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

   ONE MIGHT SAY THAT ALL stories start off with an unexceptional protagonist, at least the good ones did. It was the same in this instance. At the age of eleven, Nyx Thomas Riddle didn't have anything particularly spectacular about her. She'd been a bit on the smaller side with short limbs, small hands and fingers. Her skin was fair with a rosy undertone so whenever the weather got even a little bit chilly her face lit up like an abnormally red Christmas tree. Nyx's hair was blonde, a more golden shade, the kind that would be coloured yellow if she were a cartoon character. Her hair was long because that was the way she'd always had it, plus she didn't have time to get it cut professionally, nor did she have the money. Instead, she usually tied her hair back in a low ponytail with a bright red ribbon she'd found one day during an arts and crafts class; it had caught her eye. Her eyes were large, upturned on the outer corners and were a light sea green colour. Nyx liked her eyes very much, every time she looked at herself in the mirror she made a mental note that one day, she would see the ocean in person and decide for herself if the description of her eyes was appropriate. 

Oh, and also, Nyx Riddle happened to be an orphan. It happened ten years ago. She'd just turned one year old and she was left on the doorstep of Little Akers (her orphanage) with nothing but a cashmere blanket, birth certificate, and a locket. Whoever left her there was quick and sneaky because no one saw who it was. 

Nyx wasn't the kind of person to hold a grudge. She didn't have one against her parents for abandoning her. In fact, she wore the locket that had been left with her as a reminder that they existed in the first place. 

Maybe it was a child's naivety or optimism? Or maybe it was her way of coping with the fact that she was unwanted? Whenever the answer, it didn't matter. Nyx couldn't've known what was going through their minds when they gave her up. All she knew was that for the first year of her life, they'd kept her, they'd clothed her, they'd loved her and that counted for something. 

It was a Thursday morning in late June and by some miracle of miracles, the sun was actually out and shining. The weather was usually more gloomy, grey, and dull. Nyx didn't mind it per se but she much preferred the sun because of how rare it was around here. 

She was a very outdoorsy person. She liked to play outside, and she liked the smells, the sounds, and the colours (or lack thereof). Nyx routinely spent every morning outside. She would sneak out of the orphanage and take a stroll around the neighbourhood as people started to get up for the day. Little Akers was situated in a small community, not exactly rich but they weren't impoverished either. It was a small town, one that looked frozen in time. There wasn't anything modern for miles. 

Nyx whistled a familiar yet incomplete tune to herself as she bounced down the cobblestone streets, her hands firmly wrapped around her golden locket; she liked skipping on each stone like she was playing an extreme game of hopscotch. She'd gotten up bright and early that day to see the sunrise from the best spot in a town, the top of the play structure about four blocks from the orphanage and was now on her way back to Little Akers before anyone realized she was gone.