𝐢𝐱. MUDBLOOD

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  THE FOLLOWING FEW DAYS NYX tried her hardest not to fall behind in class. She was well aware that she was at a disadvantage compared to her fellow second years but she didn't want to make a big deal about it. She just wanted to make the most of her brand new magical education. Unfortunately, it seemed as though no matter what she did she was unable to conjure any magic! It didn't make any sense to her at all! Why was it so difficult? Nyx had produced magic before when she was younger, recently she'd made the discovery that all those times hadn't been her imagination but in truth her abilities as a witch coming through. However, what if she was wrong? What if those instances never happened? 

Nyx wouldn't be feeling so anxious if other people were facing the same problem but nope! She was the only one it seemed. Even when the worst performing students failed they at least failed in a magical way! 

She'd gone to see him about it at once fearing that maybe there had been a grave mistake and maybe she really wasn't meant to be here. 

"It would make sense, wouldn't it? The reason why I didn't get my letter earlier is obviously that I'm not magical at all! There's been a mistake! I'll never get it!" rambled Nyx as she paced around in Severus's office that evening. "What if I'm really not a witch after all? What if I'm a-a..." 

Severus looked up from the work he was trying to grade only to see Nyx hyperventilating and on the brink of tears. 

"A squib?" He had finished the thought for her. Nyx stopped in her tracks and nodded sadly. Severus just exhaled and looked back down at the parchment rolls. 

"You're not a squib," he told her.

"And how can you be certain of that?" asked Nyx. 

He paused for a moment as a single memory returned to him. One that contained a floating blonde baby giggling joyfully as she just rolled through the air. 

Severus stared at her. "I just know." 

Knowing Severus, Nyx knew that was all she was going to get out of him which didn't help with her doubts. He seemed awfully certain though, so maybe she should have just taken his word for it? Still, Nyx needed to talk to someone about this and so she decided that person would be Hermione Granger. They had every class together, in which they sat next to each other in every single one, and they also slept in the same dorm room so it seemed natural to get Hermione's opinion on the matter. 

Hermione admitted that it was a bit odd but that it was probably because Nyx had started out so late. She assured Nyx that she would get it eventually and to remember that she had still gotten a wand and had performed magic in her childhood before. 

"But if you're that worried we could always ask a teacher, maybe Professor McGonagall? Or we could go to the Hospital Wing?" 

"No, no!" Nyx shook her head. "I think I should wait a bit, y'know? I could just be overreacting and if that's the case I don't want to make a big spectacle out of it."