𝐱𝐯𝐢. RECURRING TEARS

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  HERMIONE WAS FORCED TO STAY in the hospital wing for several weeks where she was frequently visited by Nyx, Harry, and Ron almost every evening. When the new term started, they brought her each day's homework at Hermione's request. That evening, they had gone to visit Hermione again. Nyx was sitting in the chair next to Hermione's bed, her feet propped up on it while her eyes were reading the lines of yet another wizarding world storybook. The wizarding world had a plethora of fairytales she had yet to read, each as unique compared to the last. 

"If I'd sprouted whiskers, I'd take a break from work," said Ron, tripping a stack of books onto Hermione's bedside table. 

"Don't be silly, Ron, I've got to keep up," said Hermione briskly. Her spirits were improved greatly by the fact that all the hair had gone from her face and her eyes were turning slowly back to brown. "I don't suppose you've got any new leads?" she added in a whisper so that Madam Pomfrey couldn't hear her. 

"Nothing," said Harry gloomily. 

"I was so sure it was Malfoy," said Ron, for the hundredth time. 

"And we concluded he's not a bloodthirsty maniac," said Nyx while not looking up from her story. She turned the page, "He's just a bigot." 

"What's that?" asked Harry. 

Nyx glanced up to see him pointing to something gold sticking out from under Hermione's pillow. 

"Just a get-well card," said Hermione hastily, trying to poke it out of sight, but Ron was too quick for her. 

He pulled it out, flicked it open and read aloud:

"To Miss Granger, wishing you a speedy recovery, from your concerned teacher, Professor Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defence League, and five-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award." 

Ron looked at Hermione, disgusted. 

"You sleep with this under your pillow?" 

"Burn it," Nyx whispered under her breath, but Harry had heard her and choked up a laugh. 

Madam Pomfrey came sweeping over with Hermione's evening dose of medicine, sparing her from answering Ron's question. 

"Is Lockhart the smarmiest bloke you've ever met, or what?" Ron said to Harry and Nyx as they left the infirmary and started up the stairs toward Gryffindor Tower. Severus had given them so much homework, they needed to get started immediately. 

"It's obvious they only like the man because he's handsome," said Nyx honestly. 

Ron and Harry gave her identical disturbed expressions, and Nyx beamed. 

"Come off it. You both know it's true. He's a handsome man. Strange, foolish, and rather narcissistic, but handsome nonetheless—" Just as Nyx finished her sentence an angry outburst from the floor above reached their ears.