Chapter 12

Wesley painstakingly followed the orders that sometimes did not make much sense.  He had allowed the three kids to convince him to build a snowman with them so that they had something to show when Bronwyn arrived with her parents.  Ronny and Denise had set Lindi against him to ask for his help.  After being cooped up in the cabin for nearly two whole days waiting impatiently, he had no problem with playing along.

He was the first to hear the vehicle as it lumbered through the winding pathway that led up to the remote cabin and the kids frantically tried to finish up their work of art.  Denise and Lindi became flustered as they both tried to put the hat and scarf onto the very round snowman while Ronny hastily stuck the twigs in so that it looked as if the snowman was waiting with arms wide open.  Wesley looked at the snowman again and shuddered.  This thing could give even him nightmares!

Running ahead towards the sound of the vehicle, Ronny beaconed at Barry to follow him around the side of the house where the garage was and by the time the engine died down, everybody was there to greet and help carry the luggage inside.

Stretching her legs after the long drive, Bronwyn felt his gaze settle on her like a living thing; heavy as it seared her as his eyes scorched over her whole body before his eyes came to rest on her face, lingering on her lips.  She shook as she remembered his kiss.  That one earthmoving kiss they had shared.  Oh, he had kissed her after that, but it was never more than a lingering peck on her lips or a soft kiss on her forehead or cheek; leaving her wanting so much more.

This week with Wesley and his family was going to change things between them, and if he did not do something to make it happen, she would.  This uncertainty was eating away at her.

Wesley felt a pair of eyes on him and he looked away from Bronwyn to see that Barry was looking at him with a frown on his face.  Oh yes, he was definitely going to have to come clean sometime soon.  With effort he turned around and led the way inside without staring at her again.

Barry, Rhoda, Sally and Gerald spent most of the afternoon inside while the three kids convinced Bronwyn to join them outside.  Naturally they coerced Wesley to help them build the rest of the snowman family.  The conversation outside stayed light and carefree, the most serious discussion they had, was to decide if they should build two or three snow children.

Dinner was relaxed and laid back and they sat at the table for a few hours afterwards as they chatted the night away.  Ronny and his sisters were building a puzzle on a part of the table that had been cleared for them with the ‘big’ people occasionally giving a hand.  When they got sleepy Gerald and Wesley carried them upstairs to put them to bed.

When they came down everybody moved over to the den where a cozy fire was chattering away in the fireplace.  Gerald offered them some red wine to drink and they all settled down to chat.  Gerald and Barry discussed the possibility of starting a new venture as Rhoda told Sally everything there was to tell about her son’s babies.

That left Wesley and Bronwyn out of both discussions and although they listened to both conversations Bronwyn soon got restless so she said goodnight.  She went to the kitchen first to get herself a glass of water and when she opened the door to the room she would be using, he called out to her softly.

“Yes?”  She turned around to see him standing in the door of the room almost directly opposite hers.

“Will I be seeing you later?”

The expectant expression on his face warmed her heart, and her face.  She nodded her head and tried to get her long hair to cover her face in the process.  Two long strides and he was in front of her, his finger caressing the skin on her cheek as he tucked the loose hair behind her ear.