7 - Rowan

Y'all gonna hate me cause this is the shortest fucking chapter in existence. I apologize. I'm just trying to really gather myself for the actual fighting scenes. This isn't a filler, but it is sort of a separation between last Rowan chapter and next Rowan chapter-- a way to sort of satisfy the readers while gearing up for this fighting scene that I'm working on tonight. Ugh. Matching Sarah J. Maas' phenomenal writing is just...

Impossible.

But yeah, this is the shortest chapter in the history of shortest chapters. I think this author's note is actually longer. Sorry.

However, the next chapter will be Rowan's perspective, not Feyre's, to make up for the lack of anything in this one. Later on, I might even merge these two chapters.

"I heard you've been waiting around for me," Erawan said, golden eyes cold. "Why?"

This was it. This was what he'd been preparing himself for during these last few days. The stupidest decision of his immortal life. He blocked out the insticts in his head that screamed at him to not do it, telling him not to say it--

"I want to make a deal," he told Erawan quietly. It was an effort not to choke on those words-- but that was the easiest part of this.

"And what makes you think I'd go for a deal?" He tilted his head, those eyes glittering with something like amusement. It reminded Rowan of Maeve. The Demon King and the Queen of Wendlyn-- a perfect match for each other.

Rowan couldn't say it. Couldn't damn this world, couldn't... He knew Aelin wouldn't forgive him, not ever. He knew, even if he somehow won, Aelin would never forgive him for putting her kingdom on the balance. But... He could face that. Face that hatred. Because she'd be alive and safe and... "Because if I lose, you win everything. Terrasen, Adarlan, Erilea, the Wastes. Everything."

"And how, exactly, would you lose?" Erawan's eyes were glittering with malice and greed. Hunger.

And here was the worst part of the stupidest decision Rowan had ever made. "We fight one-on-one, however we wish. To the death." He paused. "Or, until your latest body is not habitable."

"And what would happen if you somehow won?" Arrogance-- plain and simple-- narrowed his eyes. He knew Rowan wouldn't win. Not as exhausted and desperate and sick as he was.

Rowan kept his expression neutral. "You give Terrasen twenty of your soldiers to keep under our command. And you free Aelin from Maeve and Cairn."

"Ten soldiers," Erawan bargained. "And Aelin is freed."

Rowan considered it silently. Better ten soldiers than none at all. "Alright. It's a deal." Such foolish, damning words.

"I never said I was willing to make a deal," Erawan hedged, and Rowan's jaw tightened, staring him down.

"Then why bargain?" He gritted out.

Erawan actually chuckled. "Oh, Prince. I think I might actually miss your wits. It's a deal."

They didn't bother to follow the normal ritual of a deal. There wasn't a need to. Instead, Erawan smiled a smile that sent chills through Rowan's spine. Made him wish he'd just spent his time looking for Aelin instead of waiting for the enemy. But it was too late to back out, now. Much, much too late. Rowan readied himself for the first attack.

And a wave of darkness lashed toward him.