12 - Rowan

OMFG I'M SO BEHIND! I'M SORRY! I HAD A FEVER ALL DAY ON FRIDAY AND HAVE BEEN SO BUSY HOUSE-HUNTING (OUR LANDLORD IS KICKING US OUT BECAUSE HE WANTS TO RESELL THE HOUSE FOR A HIGHER PRICE) THAT I HAVEN'T HAD THE CHANCE TO UPDATE.

Outside the castle walls, Manon Blackbeak had been waiting for Rowan along with the rest of the Thirteen, their bodies outlined by the rising sun. Their company was the same as it had been when they parted ways on that beach.

The rift between Lorcan and Elide had not faded over the months they'd been searching for help from the Crochans, if the latter's frosty silence indicated anything. And until Aelin was safe, Rowan wasn't inclined to begin forgiving Lorcan, either. Even if he still looked remorseful enough that Rowan almost felt sorry for him.

As for Gavriel, he looked like he'd recovered from Maeve's severing of the Blood Oath, though his pride still seemed a bit wounded. Perhaps it would make him feel better if he helped some of the people in Terrasen's cities, rather than fight against Maeve when they rescued Aelin.

But that would be worried about later.

"Manon," he greeted, and glanced at the young man at her side. "Hello, King." The word sounded so strange on his tongue. Despite the fact that Dorian had been King of Adarlan for a while, he was still growing into his title-- still maturing. Dorian uttered a quiet greeting in response, eyebrows raised as if he was confused as to why Rowan wouldn't just say his name.

Rowan was confused about it, too, but didn't correct himself.

"Rowan," Manon replied. Her voice was almost warm-- almost friendly. If he wasn't so caught up in finding Aelin, he might have tried to make conversation with her.

"Anything to--"

"Maeve's armada has some weak gaps," Manon interrupted. "Without you, Lorcan, and Gavriel in her ranks, it's suffering. Perhaps, once we track them down, we wait until they're at their most vulnerable moment and strike."

Was she not trying to rally the Crochan witches in the time she was gone? "I-- not that I'm not glad to hear this, Manon, but... How did you find this out?"

The witch's mouth twitched. "Something we caught wind of and have been tracking-- with help, of course. Maeve's leash on Fenrys slips sometimes."

"And the Crochans?"

Her lips tightened and Rowan knew it was the wrong thing to say. He opened his mouth to ask why she was angry, but an abrupt, near-imperceptible shake of Dorian's head had him stopping himself. Whatever had Manon upset was obviously not to be mentioned-- not unless he wanted his throat ripped out. And with him still healing from his encounter with Erawan, he doubted that he'd survive her anger without help.

Distracting Manon might be in his best interest. Everyone seemed tense-- maybe having some time alone might do something to remedy that. As for Manon... Maybe an encounter with some odd Fae might be to her liking. "How would you feel about meeting some strange people?"

Her golden eyes adopted a familiar glint. "Strange people, you say. What exactly does that mean?"

It looked like he'd guessed correctly. "I'll tell you once everyone's comfortable," he offered, and despite Manon's impatient grumble, they followed him inside.

Finding each of them rooms that they liked was a task. Elide was easy. She just wanted something large and open, and there were enough of those rooms that it took no time at all to leave her in one. Dorian was pretty easy, too, as was Lorcan and Gavriel. The Thirteen were different, however. Some of them were a bit too picky for Rowan's liking-- but they were his guests, his allies, so he put up with it until they all had rooms they could at least tolerate.