23 - Rowan

"This is it," Aedion murmured as he stared out the window of the study, toward the distant, fog-shrouded mountains peeking out from above the tall evergreen trees and rolling hills. "We begin our search today." He sounded distant, as if his mind was far away.

"What wrong?" Rowan asked the blonde, frowning at him. "I thought you'd be more energetic." The entire time they'd been planning, Aedion had been ready to get on with the search, but now, he seemed almost tired. More worried, for certain.

Aedion shrugged, looking back at Rowan. "Have you thought about what we might find out there? What if we encounter Aelin and find she's either dead, or not... Not our Aelin? What if Maeve has brainwashed or corrupted her?" He drew in a long breath as Rowan's blood chilled. He had made a point not to consider that idea too much in these months.

"All those years when I thought she was dead, I fantasized about what it might've been like if she had lived. I missed her so thoroughly that sometimes it was all I could do not to hunt down whoever had killed her and return the favor. All those years, and I was so filled with grief, but..." Guilt flashed in his eyes, but he continued strongly, "I think I'd rather she died in that river than end up Maeve's pet."

The words felt like a knife, but Rowan understood what Aedion meant. "Me too," he replied quietly. He straightened, looking away from those snowy mountains that seemed to call to him and looking back at Aedion. "But she'll be fine. Aelin survived Arobynn's training-- she can get through this. Besides, from what Elide told us, Maeve wanted her alive. Maeve is not one to change plans."

"I hope you're right," Aedion said softly. He shook his head as if clearing his thoughts and met Rowan's gaze. "Alright, let's get everyone going. We need to be out before dark."

"The sun's not even at it's highest, yet," Rowan pointed out, arching an eyebrow. "I doubt it will take that long to gather who we need and go."

"You let Lorcan go with you and put me on Manon's team to even it out. You won't have much trouble. You don't have to gather a bunch of perpetually angry witches and make them decide to not kill you for ordering them around."

He had a point.

Lorcan had approached him a day prior, requesting to accompany him and the Courts in their journey to find Aelin. Rowan had almost refused... But then the onyx-eyed male had given him a reason to agree.

"She could have let her fear consume her and let them take Elide instead, if only to avoid that very fate. But she didn't," Lorcan had said quietly as he stared through the trees. "She let them whip her and chain her because she rathered herself suffer than someone else."

It was the first time since Lorcan had returned that Rowan hadn't felt like ripping his head off. But he'd still been suspicious as he listened to the male that he'd been closest to a number of months ago.

"I know you blame me for bringing Maeve straight to her, Rowan. I don't blame you. But I owe Aelin-- and I'd rather not owe her for an eternity." Well, it sounded like Lorcan, alright. Rowan knew Lorcan hated owing anyone, but to owe someone he loathed so thoroughly... "I may hate her, but she sacrificed herself to save a lot of people, and I can't ignore that."

A lot of people. Rowan knew he didn't much care for any of them. But whatever bond he'd formed with Elide over weeks and weeks of travel had refused to let him stop caring, even if Elide hated him, now.

Perhaps she'd been just what Lorcan needed all these centuries.

And so Rowan had reluctantly allowed him to accompany them, leaving Elide, Dorian, Ansel, and Illias to watch over Terrasen with the armies while he was gone.

"I suppose you're right," Rowan told Aedion with a nod. "I guess we begin gathering them up, then." He stood up, looking around the study one last time-- at the paintings and fancy furnishings and the intricately-carved stone fireplace. The next time he saw it, Aelin would be with him.

If she wasn't, he'd keep his promise to her, and he'd tear the world apart if that's what it took to get her back.

He met his brother's gaze gold-ringed stare. "Good luck with the Thirteen," he said, and Aedion snorted halfheartedly.

"Good luck with Lorcan."

As the two males parted ways at the threshold of the study door, each worried about where their journey would take them.

I know, I know, it's a short one. I try not to do this too often, but school is already kicking my ass because by the time I get home it's 5:30, which is about an hour after I get out. Yes, that's how late school runs. I love and hate it. But basically, the only time I have to write this is weekends and really late at night.

I'm tryingggggg.

Anyway, this is not a filler, but I'm stretching this out because I like pissing off my readers every once in a while.

But yay, I was worried the update would be late but it wasn't!