No Choice But to Take the Dark Mark- Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Draco had quickly apparated to the front gates of his home. He didn’t know why the dark lord wished to see him, but Snape had said it was urgent. So he left Hogwarts. Being a death eater meant he could come and go at the school whenever he wanted him too.

                Draco quickly went up the gravel drive and down the path to his home, or what used to be his home before the dark lord took over. Now it belonged to Voldemort and it was a place that Draco no longer wished to be in, now or ever. Draco went up the stairs and was opening the door when a terrible feeling of foreboding came over him, but he shook it off.  As he walked stiffly into the main hall he noticed the still figure of a person, lying in a heap in the middle of the cold stone floor, his parents, aunt Bellatrix and others stood around the perimeter of the room. There were even snatchers and their leader, that sleazy wizard, Scabior standing in there as well. But Draco’s attention was on the person lying on the cold stone floor, he couldn’t see them well. He turned his attention to the dark lord.

                “You wished to see me, my lord,” Draco asked in a slightly shaking voice, his eyes drawn back to the person on the floor. Suddenly Draco got chills through him as he saw a bit of dark, shiny midnight hair.

                “Do you know this girl?” the dark lord asked calmly, then using his wand he did a levitating spell that mad the body roll over in the air until Draco was looking at the very pale face of Annabelle. Draco nearly went to his knees, he thought she was dead. But she moved, moaning slightly, her eyes fluttering open. The dark lord released Anna and she fell to the floor with a hard thump. “Do you know her?” the dark lord shouted this time.

                “She is a girl from Hogwarts,” Draco said quickly, hoping the dark lord could not see the pained look on his face.

                “So this girl attends Hogwarts. Well, what is she to you?”  Voldemort asked.

                “I don’t know what you mean, my lord. She is just a girl from my school,” Draco was hoping that the dark lord would send Anna to the dungeons; he would free her again and get her out of here.

                “Is that so?” Voldemort said in a normal voice, “then you will not mind letting me have a look inside your head.”

                Draco felt his mother come over beside him and take hold of his arm in terror.

                “Come here Draco,” the dark lord hissed. Narcissi started sobbing and didn’t want to release Draco, but Lucius pulled her back as Draco walked in front of the dark lord. Voldemort tried to probe Draco’s mind, but got nothing. Voldemort laughed, “Your aunt Bellatrix taught you Occlumency very well, but you will not shut your mind to me,” he hissed, “I will know what that filthy half-blood is to you! Now open your mind or I will kill her now,” the dark lord took and pointed his wand at Anna. Draco knew he would do it without hesitation. Just a couple of words and Anna would be gone.

                Okay,” Draco said quickly, going to stand in front of Voldemort, between him and Anna. Draco cleared his mind of the control that the Occlumency gave him, and opened it up, allowing Voldemort to see everything. And he saw it all. Everything Draco was feeling and all that had happened between him and Anna since she had started at Hogwarts. Anna reading him her muggle books in the Astronomy Tower when he had first started liking her. Anna meeting him over the summer before their 6th year, when he had first become a death eater and she hadn’t known about it. Draco helping her escape the Malfoy dungeons last Christmas holiday and all that transpired, on up until just recently when they had been together at his father’s lake cabin after he had rescued her from the death eaters at the Weasleys’ wedding party after the death of the Minister of Magic. Voldemort now knew that Draco was in love with a half-blood member of the Order of the Phoenix. When he finally released Draco from his hold on his mind, Draco stumbled backwards and nearly fell.