A Night in the Dungeon- Chapter 40

Chapter 40

                Draco had dozed off to sleep, Anna sleeping soundly in his arms, one side of her face pressed against his neck and chest. He thought he heard something. He looked around in the dark dungeon, his eyes adjusting to the darkness. There was a cot in the room with stacks of blankets, and then suddenly a small table appeared, complete with a huge covered tray of food. Draco smiled. He knew his mother, Narcissa, had sent the stuff through their house elves. In a flash another cot with blankets appeared.

                “Anna, sweetheart, wake up,” Draco gently touched her cheek, watching as her hazel-green eyes fluttered open from sleep and she smiled up at him. He could not help the tears that came to his eyes as he thought of her love for him. The fact that Anna was willing to sacrifice her own life and become a death eater only to save him was very humbling, and he thought of how he did not deserve it.

                “Are you alright?” she asked concerned, bringing her hand up to his face tenderly.

                “I’m fine,” he gave her a little lopsided grin, “I was just thinking of how much I love you,” he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Anna’s arms went around Draco's neck.

                “Don’t worry, we will get through this somehow,” she tried to reassure him now.

                Even with what was going on with her, Anna was still concerned for him.

                “I don’t deserve you, Anna,” Draco said raggedly, “You would have been much better off with someone else, like that auror, Rafe Montgomery or anyone other than me.”

                Anna put her fingers to his lips, feeling the tears there and leaned up in Draco’s lap and began kissing his face delicately, kissing away the salty tears, “Draco Malfoy,” she said between kisses, “I love you and there is no one else I want. You know this. You can’t help what is going on in your life right now,” she kissed one closed eyelid and then the other, making Draco sigh, “You are not a bad person, I know this and that is all that matters to me,” she kissed the tip of his nose, “so quit talking such foolishness. Maybe I don’t deserve your love,” and she captured his lips in hers and he put his hands up into her hair, pulling her deeper into the kiss, his hands gently tangling into her hair. Oh how he loved this girl, he thought as he felt her hands holding his shoulders firmly. She always made him feel like he could be a good person, which was what he wanted now more than anything. Anna broke the kiss off breathlessly.

                “Are you hungry?” Draco asked, slightly out of breath from the wonderful kiss Anna had given him.

                “You’re joking, right? I am starving,” Anna laughed, “but where are we going to find food in here?”

                “Right over there,” Draco pointed at the small table, “And there are some cots too.”

                “Merlin’s beard, there is food,” Anna gasped out in joy. She could smell it now and her stomach started growling. Anna slowly got up from Draco’s lap, still sore from the abuse the dark lord had put her through.  She held out her hand to Draco and helped pull him up and then went for the food, sitting on one of the cots. As she lifted the lid, there was two bowls of some kind of warm stew and turkey and cheese sandwiches, even some oatmeal and raisin cookies. Anna immediately started in on the stew. Draco laughed as she scarfed down the stew, “You were starving,” he laughed.