VII. Good and Evil (2)

He found her at the corner where the boy lived. Today, she was in a short red dress, hair loose, playing with a flower, which she picked up from god-knows-where. 

He disliked being in these assignments with her because after all the ages in this earth they had to go through, he still was averse to opposing her. Still, these assignments were only times he could be with her after he had chosen to leave their heaven.

He rolled up his white button down shirt and put his hands in his pockets and walked up to her.

"You look a lot like him." She commented staring at the young man who was currently walking down the street. 

Her counterpart frowned. "A little I guess. It's the dimple."

"I still wonder why we were assigned to him."

He shrugged. "I don't even want to think about it too much."

"Maybe we'll be given the chance we've been asking."

"You've always been more hopeful about it."

"But don't you want to be back with me?"

His eyes searched hers and turned away so that she would not see the pain he still carried. "He stopped at the bakery."

They watched the young man gaze longingly at the different kinds of bread and pastries in front of him. They could hear his thoughts.

Gutom na ako, konting-konti lang yung nakain ko sa breakfast kasi binigay ko kay Riza yung pagkain. Kailangan niya sa school eh.

"Kumuha ka na, hindi naman nakatingin yung tindera," He egged on.

"Wag. Makiusap ka nalang, baka sakaling pagbigyan ka," she said, giving her counterpart a gaze that told him to discontinue.

"Hindi ka pagbibigyan niyan. Masungit yan eh. Kumuha ka na habang hindi pa nakatingin," he said, ignoring her.

"No. Wag. Hindi magandang magnakaw."

The young man was about to take a piece, when his personal assistant arrived. "Rj! Tara na. Nakakuha na akong tricycle na maghahatid sa atin sa terminal. Bilis at baka ma-late tayo sa audition mo. Kumain ka na ba?"

"Hindi pa, Ma."

"Halika, may sandwich akong dala."

They watch the two leave.

"Damn, I almost had him. Yun na eh." He muttered.

She smiled. "He didn't steal. Good one."

"He didn't steal... Today. Marami pang mga araw. He can't keep being saved by this assistant."

"I know. But today, things turned out well and he didn't have to steal. Maybe things will always find a way to work out?"

He snorted. "When has that ever happened in all the years we've been doing this?"

"They always work out, just not in the way we think."

"Yes, and oftentimes, it is those expectations that are not met that make these people turn to my side."

"THAT IS NOT YOUR SIDE." She protested vehemently, like she always does when this subject comes up. "I've been begging and working hard for us to be given a chance so that you can come back. Stop thinking that where you are now is permanent!"

"I'd say that this is permanent."

"Stop. I refuse to believe I won't be with you again."

"You know they almost burned my soul the last time I begged. I'd take this and see you once every few hundred years."

Tears stung her eyes. "I wish you didn't leave us before."

"I don't want to keep discussing this. We have to go."