VIII. Blind Date (1)

Prompt from gabri27elle

---

Maine unlocked the door to her unit after a long and hectic work day. She worked for one of the biggest corporations in the country and, though she loved her regular 8-5 job, there were days when it just took so much out of her.

She looked forward to having a quiet dinner to just browse through the internet or watch movies online. However, it was raining and, as always, she was drawn to it and she headed to her balcony to sit and watch. To Maine, there was something about the falling drops of water that made her feel melancholy yet strangely content.

"Kung ako ang may-ari ng mundo, ibibigay ang lahat ng gusto mo..."

The sound of someone singing stunned Maine for a bit, unaware that the identical unit next to hers was now occupied.

Ang lambing ng boses, she thought.

As the stranger continued to sing, her thoughts continued, May pinagdadaanan ba 'to? Or nagpapractice mang-harana? Ang saya siguro kung ganyang boses ang manghaharana sayo.

Just then, she heard his phone ring. "Hello?"

Not wanting to eavesdrop, she put on her earphones and continued to listen to music on her phone, enjoying the current downpour.

***

Rj was on leave from his job at an offshore financial services company today since it was moving in day. Thankfully, he didn't have a lot of furniture and unpacking his clothes took up less time than expected and he found himself free to play his guitar on the balcony, early that evening.

Disrupting his peace was a phone call from his close friend, Jerald.

"Tisoy!"

"O? Ano?"

"Samahan mo naman ako."

Rj frowned, "Huh? Saan naman?"

"Diyan sa mall, malapit sa bagong condo mo."

"Ha? Mag-ma-mall ka lang, kailangan kasama pa ako."

"Eh - kasi - ano..."

"Ano nga?"

"Kasi... may blind date ako." Jerald finally said.

"Wow, blind date. Bakit kailangan mo pa ng chaperone?"

"Kasi isasama daw niya yung best friend niya, awkward naman kung kaming tatlo lang, so sabi ko magsasama na din ako. Sige na, Pre," his friend begged.

"Kelan 'to?"

"Bukas."

"Hay nako. Oo na, sige na. Wag mo na ako guluhin. Ang saya ng moment ko dito sa ulan eh," Rj said, bidding Jerald goodbye.

"Salamat, Pare! Nga pala, mag-ayos ayos ka naman bukas ha? Para maging ka-level mo naman yung ka-gwapuhan ko," Jerald teased.

Rj went back to strumming, still watching the rain provide a thin curtain over his view of the city. He always found it romantic, this kind of rain.

Too bad wala akong mapag-dedicate-an ng song. May kapitbahay kaya ako? Kung sino man diyan yung nakikinig, para sa'yo 'to.

"Susungkitin mga bituin, para lang makahiling... na sana'y maging akin puso mo at damdamin..."

***

As Maine shut her music off and started heading inside, she caught her neighbor singing again and it made her smile.

Giving one last look at the rain, she sang along quietly, "Kung pwede lang, kung kaya lang kung akin ang mundo... ang lahat ng ito'y gagawin para sa'yo..."

She sighed happily and went in.

----

Song is Eric Santos' Kung Akin ang Mundo