XI. 48 hours, 1 room (2)

After breakfast and taking separate showers, Maine kept to her corner of the room (on the daybed) to update her articles, while Alden stayed in bed or walked around while playing on his mobile console.

36 hours left...

Around lunch time, Maine's stomach grumbled loudly. They looked at each other and laughed. 

"Sorry, hindi ko napansin yung time. Mag-reheat lang ako ng food. You want pasta?"

"Yes, please."

They went to the table to eat, once the food was ready. 

Maine apologised again. "Sorry ulit. I think it was my using the magazine's name that caused this mix up."

"Wag mo ng isipin yun. Ako din naman yung nakiusap na mag-stay ka na lang."

"About that, I don't mean to pry and feel free to refuse to answer, but you said you wanted to retreat... Why?"

Alden looked at her, warily. "Pwede bang off-the-record lahat ng paguusapan at mangyayari dito sa loob?"

Maine nodded. "Of course."

"Ang gulo lang kasi these past few weeks, hindi ko na kaya lahat ng pinagsasabi about me but I can't avoid it. Kahit hindi ako mag-check ng social media or listen sa news, makakarating at makakarating sa akin. Kailangan ko lang nang break."

"That's true. I've been doing research about you and that included checking out social media. Then again, you ARE in show business. Isn't it supposed to be messy?"

"Totoo. Overwhelming lang ngayon. Ikaw? Were you looking for downtime, too?"

"Kinda. But, it's not that unusual. I love the beach. When I heard that this was the location of the interview with you, I grabbed the chance to head here early, but then it was moved. Since nandito na din ako, I decided to get work done while I'm here."

He looked at her, apologetically. "Naku, na-hassle ka pa kasi nakakulong ka dito. Tawag na kaya tayo nung mga pwedeng tumulong."

"No, okay lang. I have a view of the beach and have gotten a lot done, actually, so I'm good. Thanks for not kicking me out."

"Thanks sa hindi paghampas sa akin ng lamp! And sorry talaga kaninang umaga."

She blushed. "Okay na. Wag mo nang ipaalala. Anyway, I've read stuff about you. Totoo bang you entered showbiz because of your mom?"

They spent the next couple of hours sharing stories about how they started in their respective fields before retreating to each other's corner of the cabana again.

---

30.5 hours left...

"Ayoko nang maglaro." 

Maine stared at Alden when he declared he was done playing and caught him tossing his console at the side table, standing up and stretching. Cute butt, she thought. Clearing her throat, she said out loud, "Mabuti naman. Mula nung gumising ka yan na ang inaatupag mo eh."

He turned to her. "Busy ka pa ba?"

"Oo, but I could use a break." She closed her laptop and put it aside. Stretching as well, she decided to lay across the bed, her head ending up in the middle where Alden met her as he lay face down. He stared at her profile, while her eyes were closed.

Kakaiba yung itsura niya pero maganda siya talaga, he thought. "Ano yung game na nagtatanungan?"

"Ah yung 20 questions?"