Chapter 9

Chapter 9- We're Engaged

Clary's pov-

"Hey best man, ready to go?" I asked Jace with a hop in my step as I met him in the lobby. "Morning maid-of-honor, you seem well rested!" I nodded and smiled at him.

I held the papers out in front of me dramatically. "In my hands I hold, Bridezilla's final decision on the cake! This honestly could make or break the entire wedding!" I said with suspense. He laughed at me a little. "Ok princess, lets get a move on, ya?" He said while pushing me toward the door lightly.

I had to ignore the bubbly feeling and walked out to the rental car. I threw the keys and Jace caught them perfectly as if we had rehearsed it. He opened the passenger door for me before running around to the driver side.

We started on our journey, singing to songs the whole way to the cake shop. The cake shop was about 30 minutes away from the hotel.

When we pulled up it was a very fancy, professional looking store.

We walked in and were met with a snobby man. "Can I help you?" He said not even looking up at me.

Jace looked at me and mouthed 'just go with it' I nodded and looked back toward the man.

"Hi, yes we have to place an order for our friends wedding." He still seemed uninterested. He helped us place the order and while he was putting it in the computer, Jace spoke.

"Hey honey, since we're here anyways you wanna try some flavors out?" The man's ears perked up at this, so I played along. "The wedding is still a ways away and I'm sure a nice place like this doesn't have any time-"

"If you're wanting to try out some cake out, we can do it right now!" The man said enthusiastically. I looked up at Jace and smiled.

The man led us into a room with pictures of cakes around the wall. In the middle of the room, there was a large glass table with bite sized pieces of different flavors of cake.

"Take your time and if you need anything just use that intercom over there and we'll be right in. The flavors are labeled and there are notecards to write down any that stand out. There are also crackers and water to cleanse your palette between bites." The man said happily before leaving us in the room, closing the door behind him.

"Ok wifey-to-be. Let's dig in." I laughed as he said this. We both reached for a cake and moaned in delight when we tasted it.

After a few more flavors we were both very in love with this place. "Clary you have to try this!" Jace said to me. I looked down and saw that my hands had cake on them. "Feed me." I said to him. He laughed before smushing the cake into my mouth as well as around it.

I had cake on the side of my face and my nose, it was all over. At this point, Jace was hunched over in laughter.

"I think you should have some too." I said before smashing some in his face. He looked up at me and smirked. "I probably deserved that." He said nonchalantly before wiping cake off of his cheek onto his finger.

"Mm, good cake!" He said with his mouth full of cake. I laughed at him and handed him a napkin. After we both got cleaned up, we finished sampling the cake and left the store.

When we got in the car I noticed that Jace was driving a different way. "Jace, this isn't the way to the hotel. Where are we going?" I asked him. "It's a surprise." He said.

Jace's pov-

No matter how much she begged throughout the drive, I wouldn't tell her. We pulled up to an empty parking lot and we both got out of the car. "The beach?" She asked me. I nodded and pulled a blanket out of the truck of the car.

We went closer to the water and set the blanket down there. We both sat down and watched the water.

We talked for a while and messed around. I kept making stupid jokes or telling her stories about Simon and I in college just to hear her laugh. She had this laugh that seemed to make everything lighter, and her smile. Her smile could brighten any room so walked into.

"So Simon goes up to the guy and says 'okay man, how much is this gonna take to get my boy and I in there?' And the guy tells Si to start counting. He conned him out of a hundred bucks and still didn't let us in, though I didn't really care since I was to busy laughing at Simon." I laughed along with her at the memory.

"Wait! It's about to start!" I said cutting off the conversation. "What is?" She asked. I pointed out at the sunset in front of us. I know she loves things like this.

I noticed her shiver while we were watching. "Are you cold? Crap, I didn't bring a jacket." I said to her. "I'm fine." She said with a weak smile.

I pulled her closer to me and wrapped my arms around her to warm her up. My heart skipped a beat as she relaxed back into me. I rested my chin on top of her head and tried to focus on the view in front of me and not the one in my arms.

I watched as the sunset cast beautiful colors on her which made her appear even more radiant.

I would never admit this to anyone but that girl held my heart in the palm of her hand and when she ended things it felt like she was ripping it apart piece by piece. The stupid thing is, when I finally got the pieces back together I realized it was still in her hand, and it had been through the whole repair.

That girl holds my heart now and most likely forever.

I snapped out of my daze when she moved in my arms. The sun was just barely down and apparently Clary fell asleep. I carefully wrapped her in the blanket and carried her to the car.

God, I miss her.

------

Bye Angels,
😘😘