chapter six

"It's finally Friday!" I crow happily as I join Reyna at our table. It's official: I've almost made it through an entire week at Priory. And admittedly, it hasn't been that bad--apart from the whole incident with the knocked-over test tubes. Harry has gone back to working in Lab 2, which means the only time I see him is at lunch. It's sort of become a tradition for us to sit at the same table and plaintively ignore each other. Yesterday, just when I was about to get up and leave after lunch was over, he actually tossed me a pack of gummy bears left over from his lunch.

I wasn't sure what to make of that action. Honestly, I don't even like gummy bears, so I gave them to Jillian in the evening. But still... did that mean he was sorry for trying to scare me, with all those crazy stories about murders? He hadn't said anything when he gave me the pack of candy, just gave me a little crooked smile and walked away. I hadn't been sure whether to feel thankful or feel like he was treating me like a naive little child.

"Amber? You okay? You're kind of spacing out." Reyna waves a hand in front of my face.

Giving a little jolt, I say, "Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just, um, excited for the weekend."

Nodding understandingly, Reyna opens an envelope, reading through all the requirements for our daily experiments and making sure we've collected all the data and information we needed to. "Well, I'm not really an expert opinion or anything, but I'm really surprised at how well you've done. You catch on well."

Wow. "Thanks." I'm too taken aback to say anything else.

Flashing me an easy smile, my lab partner nods at me. "I'm sure Maura has noticed it, too. Keep it up and you'll be a Lab Two in no time," she jokes.

I protest instantly. "That's not true at all. And besides, Maura hates me; I'm quite positive of it."

Scoffingly, Reyna says, "Doubt it."

"Doubt it all you want, it's true," I insist.

She doesn't respond to me; she's been distracted by a small white envelope placed on the corner of our table. "Wonder what this is... It has your name on it."

Sure enough, as she hands the envelope over, I see the words 'Amber Faye--Private' scrawled across the front. Wondering who it could be from, and why they needed to deliver it to my lab table instead of my dorm, I neatly tear open the envelope with a finger, pulling out a thin sheet of paper.

Quickly, I scan the words printed on the page.

Amber Faye,

Damon Reeves has requested a quick conference with you in his office. Don't worry; you're not in trouble. In fact, Priory Incorporations is quite impressed with your week's work. This is merely a chat to discuss your progress, and what you could end up doing for our company.

Please report to Mr. Reeve's office as soon as possible.

Thank you.

There's no signature, and it's all typed out on a computer. I blink rapidly, trying to make sure I read right.

Reading over my shoulder, Reyna smirks at me. "Quite impressed with your week's work," she quotes in a snooty accent, before lightly punching me on the shoulder. "Told you," she sings.

I flush. "It's probably a trap."

"Su-ure."

Sighing a little, I say, "Well, guess I have to go to Mr. Reeve's office, then. Tell Maura where I am, if she asks."

"Will do," she replies cheerfully.

Mentally asking myself what the heck Mr. Reeves could possibly want with me, a Lab 1 intern who just started work, I bolt out of the labratory and make a beeline for the elevator.