chapter fifty-four

"This is such a nice restaurant, and the food is, like, beyond," Jillian gushes. I have to admit, I'm mildly amused to see my friend acting like I do around food. 

Niall chuckles, seeming pleased with her good review. "You like it, then?"

"Duh. I'm lucky I don't work here, or I'd probably gain like twenty pounds," 

As our friends continue their light-hearted chatter, Harry leans over and whispers, "D'you remember the first time we came here?"

I can't stop the smile that crosses my face. "I vaguely recall something about almost being bit by a snake before we did," I offer.

"Yeah, that too. Way to kill the romance: ha, remember that one time I almost got bit by a snake?" He scrunches up his nose as he registers his own words. "Wow. Our lives are..."

"Weird," I supply.

"Not the adjective I was going to use, but that works."

We finish our meal and head outside, where we're greeted by a tempered twilight. At the skyline's horizon, the sun's last rays rocket into a plush violet backdrop, peach-and-plum clouds scattered throughout. Higher above our heads, the first stars are already peeking out at the edges of the darkening sky. I take a deep breath of air, perfumed with that particular essence that can only be captured by an evening in the city: a mix of cigarette smoke, freshly-brewed espresso, and sweet undertones of over-ripe fruit growing in little pots nestled at the doorways of office buildings. 

An inexplicable feeling of carefree joy courses through me, tingling in my blood like a drug. I lock my fingers around Harry's, letting out a little sigh of contentment as he wraps his arm around my shoulder. 

"It's so beautiful," I murmur quietly. "When it's like this... I can't help but wonder how anything can ever go wrong, y'know?"

"What do you mean?" he asks curiously. Niall and Jillian are already about ten yards ahead of us, blonde heads bowed as they talk, but neither Harry or I make a move to catch up. 

I shrug at his question. "I just... I don't want us to become so preoccupied with Project Invect that we forget this. The simple things in life." I feel the heat rising to my cheeks, unsure of how to phrase the rest of my thoughts, especially under Harry's keen gaze. He looks like he's actually listening to every word I say, which is very nice, but I happen to have nothing intelligent to say, which is very embarrassing. Dropping my head, I scuff my shoes at the cracks in the sidewalk. "Forget it."

"Amber," he says in a tone as gentle as it is firm. 

"It's nothing, it's just all this stuff getting to me finally, I guess." I hold up a hand to silence Harry, adding, "Stop. It's not your fault, don't apologize. You and I both know I basically forced my way into this mess. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't become so immersed with destroying Damon that we forget to be happy."

Harry lets his eyes slide shut and mumbles something.

"What?"

"I said, I love you." He reopens his eyes and grins. "You make a fair point. We're young and we're going to enjoy life."

"Great. Starting with a piggyback ride, because my legs are tired," I joke.

And then promptly make a mental note to never joke with Harry about anything ever again, because the next thing I know, he turns around and hoists me onto his back. I barely have time to scream and lock my arms around his neck before he takes off running.

"Harry, put me down!" I screech.

Niall and Jillian turn around to regard us with matching smirks. Jillian grabs her phone and snaps about eight hundred pictures. I concede to pose for her papparazzi act by sticking my middle finger in the air.