chapter twenty-five

As soon as Jillian comes home from work the next day, I practically pounce on her. "What did I miss today? Did Maura ask about me? Was Reyna okay by herself? Did she get all our experiments done?"

"Whoa, whoa, take it slow, Faye." Jillian raises her hand to ward off my prying questions. She throws her purse on the table and loosens her bun, letting her hair waterfall down her back. "I don't even know the answers to those questions; I work in Lab 2, remember?"

I huff. "Well, is there any lab-wide announcement that I missed?"

Jillian reaches for an apple and takes a bite. "There is, actually."

"What is it?" I demand eagerly.

She stares at me. "Now I see why you don't like missing work; you go absolutely batshit crazy when you have nothing to do."

Sighing, I wait for her to finally answer my question.

Still with a teasing smirk playing across her lips, Jillian explains, "Mr. Billings told us that Priory will be hosting a science festival in two weeks. According to him, Mr. Reeves thinks it'll be a great way to share ideas with corporations across the country. In other words, he wants to call them over and have them see how much better than them we are, in funding, equipment and staff. It's also a time where different scientist staffings get together to compare notes and talk a hodge-podge of important stuff about things that affect our global environment and all that. It's really beneficial, actually; you always learn a lot from other scientists. So yes, you will have to attend the events, Amber. And you'll have to wear a dress. And act civilized. At least for the parties and formal dinners; for the exhibitions and showcases you can just wear your labcoat."

"Are you implying that there is ever a time when I don't act civilized?" I ask in a haughty accent.

She giggles and flops onto the couch beside me, hugging me. "You know I'm kidding. Hey, are you feeling any better?"

"Yes," I hasten to assure her. "I'm definitely getting back to work tomorrow--"

The doorbell rings, interrupting me. I move to get up, but Jillian pushes me back down in a gentle fashion. "Stay. I've got it." She skips over to the entrance and swings open the door. I hear the surprise in her voice."Harry?"

Harry?

I peek over the top of the couch. Sure enough, Harry Styles is in the doorway. He's still in his work clothes: a rumpled collared shirt, the tie loose and hanging crooked, and a pair of belted black pants. He looks a little haggard, but somehow still manages to look attractive. I don't understand it.

"Hi," he says a little nervously. He hasn't seen me yet; Jillian is blocking his line of vision. "I- I just wanted to stop by real quick and um... ask you about the experiment assignment for tomorrow."

Regarding him like he's a three year old, Jillian says slowly, "We're not in the same quadron of the lab, Harry. Our lab tables aren't even testing the same thing. So I can't possibly know what your assignment is."

Harry lets out a forced laugh. "Oh, right!"

"Well, if that's all you need--"

"Wait! Actually, I- er... Is Amber there?"

"She's sick," Jillian says.

A look of something--disappointment?--crosses through Harry's eyes. Half of me wants to get up and announce that I'm right here, but I chicken out; I bury a little deeper into the sofa and continue eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Oh. Well, tell her I hope she feels better."

I hear the sound of the door shutting, and then the lock clicking. Raising my head from the couch cushions, I find myself faced with a smiling Jillian.