chapter thirteen

It seems I have a talent for having random conversations with people. I start off the morning by enaging Jillian in a spirited debate over whether Smurfs would be as cool if they were any color but blue. I maintain that blue is the official color of supreme awesomeness, but Jillian says the Smurfs should actually be rainbow, and to say anything else is discrimination against some weird hybrid Smurf race she wants to create.

Honestly, I don't know about us.

Next, I decide to attempt having a similar conversation with Reyna. However, as soon as I mention The Smurfs, she gives me a stare as blank as a sheet of paper.

Subdued, I shift over to a more sane topic: Priory.

"Hey, Reyna?" I prod gently.

Without looking up from the report she's typing out, she nods. "Hm, Amber?"

"Do you... do you ever have any doubts about this place?"

Puzzled, she furrows her brow, still clacking away at the keyboard. "What do you mean?"

"It's just... I was talking to this one intern, Harry Styles. He kind of made me wonder if I can even trust everyone here. I don't know; it's a pretty silly idea, but he had a few good points that made me think-"

"Harry Styles? That Lab Two who was fighting Cade Holton yesterday?"

I flush. "Yeah." 

"Amber, you don't seriously take anything he says to heart? He's infamous for being a moody creep. Sure, he's brilliant--and that's the only reason Adam Billings keeps him as a Lab Two, for all his rude behavior and impudence. But he's got this weird vendetta against Damon Reeves or something. I'm honestly not sure of all the details. All I'm saying is that you should ignore him. There's something wrong with him."

I hesitate.

Reyna places one hand on my shoulder, her voice growing deeper with an intensity I rarely see her use. It's a lot more frightening than anything else I've experienced so far. "I don't think there's anything wrong with Priory, Amber--it's a wonderful place, and a great opportunity for those lucky enough to get in. I do think, though, that there's something wrong with Harry."

Anyone with half a brain would believe her in a heartbeat. 

Especially after yesterday's incident. I still get the shudders thinking about the dark thunderclouds that had gathered in Harry's eyes, the brutal sting of his laughter when I told him he was better than someone who just let anger and hate get the best of them.

Yes, I should definitely hate Harry Styles.

And I most certainly do. Reyna's right. What am I thinking, listening to his mind-clouding words? 

Reyna isn't right about everything, however. There is definitely something strange going on at Priory, and I'm determined to find out what it is. I don't need Harry's help to do that.

 "You sure you don't want me to stay, Amber?" Jillian asks for the thousandth time, paused with one foot out the door.

Outside, Kenneth awaits her with a handful of ribbon-tied flowers clutched in one hand. He shoots me a smile, and I wave at him. No way am I stealing his date for the evening, even if I will be a little lonely without my roommate's bubbly presence.

"Of course I'm sure. Have fun," I tell her in a singsong voice, giving her a quick hug.

Beaming at me, Jillian nods quickly and slips out the door, shutting it behind her.

Once the two of them are off on their date, the dorm room is eerily empty and silent. I glance around myself, eyeing the TV contemplatively. There's nothing to do in here, nothing that I feel like doing in any case.