chapter twenty-eight

When Maura said she needed a Lab One to run a joint errand, I guess I should've known better than to volunteer. But I was looking for an excuse to escape my supervisor's scrutiny, and so I jumped at the chance to get out of Priory during work hours.

That's why I'm standing in the parking lot, glaring at Harry for the umpeenth time this summer.

"What are you doing here?" he asks. His tone isn't exactly rude, but it's carefully blank--and for some reason that hurts even more. Not only is he not acknowledging the kiss, he's not even acknowledging our fight. Do I just not exist anymore to him?

"Same thing as you." I glance down at the papers Maura handed to me. "Getting ready to take a trip to, um... Stanley's Reptile Emporium? What the fuck?"

Harry actually laughs, almost like he can't help himself. His eyes are still shut off and guarded, but some of the tension fades from the air. "A reptile store, huh? Wonder what they want us to do down there."

Again, I look at the bundle of instructions. "They want us to look at the snakes and take notes." I give a small gasp. "Oh my God--"

"Project Invect," he finishes grimly.

We're quiet for a little bit. Then I say, "This could be good. We could talk to the owner of the reptile store. Find out if he knows anything. At the very least, this tips us off, doesn't it?"

"How does it help us?" Harry shoots back. "We already knew the Project had something to do with snakes and reptiles, because we went through those files."

I frown. "Well, at least we're the ones taking notes on the snakes for them. So we'll know anything they know."

Harry sighs. "I still don't understand why they need two people for this."

Flinching, I respond hotly, "Well, I guess you're just lucky that I'm letting you tag along, then."

With that, I march off.

"You're going the wrong way--"

"I knew that."

I do an about-turn and fall into step with Harry. He attempts to hide his smile and fails.

Stanley's Reptile Emporium is a dumpy building on the corner of Main Street, coated in chipping white paint and lacking any windows. The door squeaks on its hinges as Harry and I step inside, and I can't help but shudder. The inside atmosphere is no less creepy: the decor is dark, and the room is dimly-lit. Glass terrariums line the walls, home to an array of creatures that ranges from tiny lizards to large snakes.

Nearby, a huge serpent--God knows what type it is--raises its head to the screen covering of its tank, letting out a fearsome hiss.

Without thinking, I shriek and cling to Harry, gripping his arm tightly. I flush and wait for him to push me away, but he only takes another step into the store, a frown on his handsome features. "Why the hell are they sending us to this place?" he mutters, his growl just as menacing as the snake's.

There's no sign of the so-called "Stanley" who owns the place, so the both of us decide to get started without him. We fish out our notepads and make our way towards the section of the store that is designated specifically for snakes. The first few tanks are nothing of great interest: they merely contain the usual harmless corn snakes that all little boys beg their mothers for.

The next terrarium makes me do a double take.

"Harry," I whisper, poking him. "I'm pretty sure that's no ordinary garden snake one keeps as a pet."