Chapter 4

After my oh so fun showing of the eight bedroom house I walked back across the street to the mansion. This was going to be my next big sale. I was so excited about it I almost forgot about the magical items I found that morning. I took one long last look at the huge beautiful building that had become dirty over time. The closer I looked the more it seemed to still be in really great shape. I took it all in, then headed back to the bus stop. It was time to get my car fixed.

While I waited for the bus to come, I called a towing company. I scheduled them to meet me at my house around the time I'd be back home. I hung up the phone and sat there with nothing to do for once. I noticed how quiet it was waiting for that bus. Normally I was in my car eating a quick lunch while making phone calls and rushing across town to my next showing, but now all I could do was wait. I thought of the adventure I had that morning.

I brushed my thumb up and down on my new silver ring that gave me the ability to wield an invisible sword. I pulled the glasses out of my breast pocket and put them on. I guided the sword up and away from my belt and looked at it. It was remarkable. It felt good in my hands. It was so lightweight for having such a huge blade. I wondered what it was for. I knew it had some greater purpose than being cool to swing around and look at.

My bus came. I slid the sword back into my belt and left the glasses on. As I climbed the stairs of the bus I could see the blade was long enough to hit them, but it just went through them as if they weren't there. I figured the sword stayed between me and my belt because I was wearing the ring, but I wondered how that worked. Obviously, there was something far beyond the breadth of my knowledge going on. It just wasn't possible for the sword I carried to exist, but there it was.

I got home, changed my clothes, fed my fish, and called the car repair shop. That fish was the only friend I had. I liked him because our relationship didn't require much. Just a pinch of food and the occasional cleaning of his tank. I was pretty pathetic back then.

I heard a huge truck stop outside so I headed out to make sure he was careful with my car. A guy in grey coveralls pulled a tow truck into my driveway. He hopped out to hook up my car.

"Car trouble?" He said with an easy smile.

I hated it when guys who I knew made way less than me seemed so happy. It was simple stupid pride. It offended me that someone else could be happy with less than me. What did they have to be so happy about?

"That's right Earl," I said; putting a slow emphasis on his name. I was being rude but it didn't phase him. He started getting my car ready to tow.

"I know. You're jealous of my amazing name. Hey don't look at me. I've got my parents to thank for that," he said.

He looked up from his work.

"What's your name?" he asked.

I fished out a business card from my wallet. As I handed it to him I tried to remember to be polite because everyone is a potential customer.

"Ray Cincinnati."

"Thanks," he said looking at my card. "That's quite a name. It fits you with that swanky suit. A realtor? Nice. I bet that's fun," he said.

"It's been good to me," I said. "If you're ever looking to buy or sell..."

"I know. Give you a call."

He laughed a hearty deep laugh that I was instantly jealous of.

"You'd be surprised how many realtors I tow. You guys are rough on your cars. All that stop-and-go driving. Wears a car down faster than the average commute. You guys are always in a hurry too."

He stopped talking as he finished his work and looked up with an apologetic smile.

"Am I right?" he asked.

"Pretty much."

He stood and brushed his hands off on his coveralls.

"Alright. Let's get you to the shop so you can get back on the road selling houses."

"Thanks," I said.

We climbed into his truck and headed to the repair shop. He had a classic rock station on with the volume turned way up. His hand shot out to the knob and he turned it down.

"Sorry about that," he said.

He talked the whole way there while I thought about the mystery hanging from my hip. I can't remember what all he said, but I wasn't very good at listening back then. I only cared about myself. I thought he was driving a little fast for a guy pulling a nice car behind him, but what did I know. When we got to the repair shop I hopped out of the tow truck and went inside.

I hated the motor oil soaked smell of these places. I waited for a guy with grease spots all over his clothes to finish up with another customer and then had my turn. After speaking with the mechanic I found myself in their waiting room drinking a cup of weak coffee. I pulled out my phone and dialed the mansion owner.

"Hi. This is the realtor you spoke to earlier. I believe I can sell your house for you."

"Others have tried. That's why I am just trying to sell it myself now. No one else has been interested."

"Well, I'm interested. It looks pretty weather worn but I'm guessing it has a lot of potential to be the nicest house in the neighborhood. I'll find you a buyer who can see that," I said.

"Well you better find one who doesn't know the stories about the house then, because no one wants to live in it."

"Come on, you're telling me people really think this place is haunted?"

"It is haunted. I've seen the ghost myself."

"Okay, well I'm not sure what you think you saw, but there's no such thing as ghosts."

"So you really don't know the story, do you? I wasn't one to believe in ghosts either—what was your name?"

"I'm sorry, my name is Ray Cincinnati. May I ask what yours is?"

"Yes, I'm Reginald Pennwater," he said.

That is the perfect name for the owner of a creepy old mansion, I thought.

"Like I said," he continued, "I didn't believe in ghosts either until I saw one. I haven't gone back in the house since. The Pennwater Mansion, which you are so interested in selling, is haunted Mr. Cincinnati. It has been ever since my great great grandpa Florence Pennwater was brutally murdered in the rec room down in that ghastly basement."