Chapter 10

Claire looked back up at me. I wished she was still holding my arm. I was really starting to like her.

"Yes? What's your question," she said.

"How extensive are your skills? Can you fix whatever needs to be done or remodeled in this church?" I asked.

"I spent most of my life hanging around my dad at work. He was a contractor. I learned a lot. He passes away a few years ago. The pastor's wife Jill has been great in helping me deal with it. She sat and talked with me whenever I just needed it. She's a great listener."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Oh it's okay. I still miss him like crazy, but I'm doing much better now. I didn't exactly answer your question, but yes I can do pretty much whatever needs doing around here. I've fixed a lot of things on her. The roof. Some of the exterior details. I remodeled the kitchen."

"That's great! So you would be the perfect person to help me restore an old mansion. Would you be interested in that?"

I could tell she was hesitant, but her eyes lit up a little too.

"I would really enjoy that, and I always have things to do around here, but most of it is maintanence at the moment. I've finished all of their big projects over the last couple years," Claire said.

"Great! So can I hire you if all my stuff goes through and I get this house?"

"You're talking about the haunted one that you ran out of last night?"

"That's the one, but I was chosen so I should be able to rid it of that demon with the tools right?"

She nodded but still looked hesitant.

"So you'd only be asking me to work on the place once the demon was gone right?" she asked.

"Of course! And only if I'm able to get the house, but I have a good chance. I've been saving up for a long time and this seems like the best opportunity I'm ever going to get to become a house flipper. What better way to start than by flipping a beautiful old mansion?"

"Yeah no kidding. Okay cool. I'll talk to the pastor about it. I'm sure he'll be fine with is as he's seen I've mostly been doing little maintenance around here lately. I'll still have to do those if something comes up at the church and they need me, but I doubt that will happen."

"Of course! So you'll do it? If all goes well I should be able to pay you up front," I said.

Normally I would never do that because contractors are not always the type of people you can count on, but I figured someone who worked in a church could be trusted. Also, unlike most contractors, I'd know where to find her if she didn't show up. She smiled and looked around. She looked up at the ceiling. I followed her gaze as she spoke.

"This ceiling structure was built well, but some of those beams needed to be replaced. I was able to handle that. This sounds like way too much fun to pass up. I have it so easy right now, and that's what I've needed, but I think I'm ready for something more now. The church pays me, but I work for them because it's a passion of mine and I love giving back to this place. I have a lot of free time. I'd love to help you restore that mansion. Thank you for thinking of me."

"It seemed perfect."

And then she smiled at me again. I wasn't used to someone having so much positive affect on me like she does. She made me feel good. She just seemed so genuinely happy. Nothing fake about her. It was amazingly refreshing. It was like nothing I had ever encountered before. Being around her changed my whole mood, and trust me that in itself was a miracle back then.

I was so excited that my plans were already starting to fall into place. This mansion was going to make me a fortune and finally set me on the career path I had always wanted. Now I just had to buy it and take care of that demon. I figured that before I called the owner I should have a really good look at it since I had that opportunity. I hopped in my car and headed for the Westbrook neighborhood.

I still needed to put the key back in the desk drawer of the shed in the backyard. I needed to know just how much work really needed to be done to get this house ready to sell. If I could buy it cheap enough and have Claire help me do most of the work I might even be able to get it to be turn key. If I could do that and people could move right in, I knew I could sell it for a lot.

I parked across the street from the mansion. I turned off my car and reached down to my left and opened the trunk. I got out and walked to the back of my car. I noticed the usual stink that surrounded my car after I turned it off was gone. I was glad I finally had it fixed. I grabbed my large flashlight and slid it into my pocket and then closed the trunk.

With my hands resting on my car, I looked over at the mansion. It was gorgeous property, but it was very run down. Now it even looked creepy to me during the day. A gust of wind sent dead leaves on the street into a spiraling dance. I thought about the power being out. A cool breeze slapped me in the face. I shivered. It was going to be really dark inside. I knew the demon could be in there too, but I had to go back in that house. Maybe they only showed themselves at night. That was my hope anyway.

"Here we go," I muttered under my breath.

I was just there to evaluate the property. Everything would be fine. Just another day at the office for me. At least that's what I tried to convince myself of.

I walked across the street and opened the gate to the property. It creaked just as it had the night before, but I swear it was way louder this time. I closed it behind me and suddenly felt very uneasy. The back kitchen door was going to be a lot worse. It was time to focus. Time to do my job.

I looked around and tried to see what would stand out to me as a potential buyer. A lot of landscaping would need to be done, that was obvious. As far as the stairs to the front, they were all stone. Some time with a pressure washer could instantly improve the curb appeal. In fact, all of the exterior materials were made of brick and stone. A good cleaning to get rid of that grit and grime would go a long way in the appearance of this house. I whipped out my phone and made a list of these tasks. It was time to go inside.

I headed to my left to make my way around the house. I prepared for the site of that huge angel statue. It wasn't nearly as scary during the day, especially when I was expecting it, but it still unnerved me a little.

"Hello again. Long time no see," I said. The statue didn't reply.

I trudged through what I guessed would have to be mowed a couple times. One time without the bag just to cut it all down so the mower wouldn't die from clogging up, and a second time with a mower bag. I figured I would have to rent a huge dumpster for all of the grass and foliage that needed to be taken care of, hoping not much would need to be done to the property inside. I made my way around the house and to the kitchen door. I could feel the eyes of the angel statues behind me in the garden as I unlocked the door. I couldn't shake the feeling that they were walking toward me, so I glanced back just to reassure myself. They hadn't moved. They were still just lifelike statues. I turned back around and opened the door.