Chapter 48

I thought about facing two demons and remembered that the one time I almost lost the fight was when I didn't have the element of surprise. Most of the time just fighting back against a demon as a human seemed to be enough, but I knew I needed every advantage I could get. So I tucked my arms under the cloak and held the sword upside down against my chest hoping this would hide my blade from their view. I continued down the hall.

"How do you know it went this way?" Bill whispered behind me.

"They give off a strong glow. Like the sword when you saw it with the glasses. I saw a glow vanishing away down this hall. What's down here?"

"This hall leads to the furnace room."

"Of course it does."

"And there are rooms on either side of us."

"I'm glad you're with me. I can't see anything down here.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and turned on the light. We kept walking through the darkness until we heard a door creak open at the end of the hall. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end and I heard a small whimper escape Bill's lips behind me.

"Oh man. They're totally messing with us. These guys are real jerks aren't they?" I said starting to walk again.

"They're even worse than you," Bill said following behind me. His comment ticked me off but I had more important things to worry about. The sounds of our shoes on the floor echoed down the hallway. It seemed way too quiet all of the sudden. I saw a glow pass behind the door and then it slammed shut. We both stopped walking.

"Okay. I'm sure they're expecting us to run away back upstairs now, but we're not going to do that," I said.

"We're not?"

"No we are not."

I took a few steps back and leaned in toward Bill so he could hear me whisper.

"You go open the door real fast, and then I'll jump into the room. Okay? It helps if I can surprise them. Gives me a better chance to disarm them."

I stepped aside and waited for Bill to open the door. He didn't move. I nodded my head. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Then he opened them, looked at me with a death stare, and walked over to the door.

I got ready right behind him. He twisted the knob, swung it open, and jumped away to the side. I ran into the room. It was really dark in there which made the two demons that much easier to spot right away.

One stood laughing at us several feet away to my left and the other was just to my right. They both had blades hanging from their hips and flowing white robes. Just like the others they were very handsome, like perfectly sculpted statues, but their eyes held unmistakable hate and evil.

I made as if to look right through them. I walked around the one closest to me and pretended that I was looking all around the room for them. Then I looked back toward them around the room making sure my eyes swept right over them.

"I told you Mr. Baldock there's no one in here. I'm sure it's just a problem with the electricity. As far as the noises, this furnace must be acting up."

The demon right beside me turned to look out the door for Bill. Now was my chance. I pulled out my sword, and swung it around in a circle bringing the blade up and around to cut right through the demon's side where his sword hung. My blade sliced through his back and then cut his sword in two leaving the end of it in his sheath while the handle and other half of the blade fell through the floor into oblivion. The demon howled and raced away, feeling at the deep wound across his back. I left him for now.