Chapter 30

I pulled the glasses out of my breast pocket and handed them to him.

"When you put these on you're going to see a magical glowing sword hanging from my hip. I stood up and turned so the sword would be facing him. I held up my hand palm in.

"Wearing this ring allows me to wield the sword," I said. "Go ahead. Put on the glasses."

He lifted the glasses to his face, but stopped and studied them for a moment. Then he slid them on. As soon as the glasses covered his eyes his head twitched sideways jumping over toward the sword. His mouth hung open emitting no words.

"Pretty cool right?" I said. "Now watch this."

I reached down and pulled the sword from my hip.

"Watch it go right through your table. It won't damage it."

I slowly waved the sword through the table.

"This has to be a hologram or something," he said taking the glasses off and putting them back on again.

"That's what I thought at first too. It's actually an angelic sword from the spiritual realm. It doesn't affect the physical mortal realm."

I twisted my wrist around bringing the blade down toward the table. I brought my hand all the way down stabbing the sword into the table until my fist hit the surface. I pulled it back out and put it back onto my hip.

"So it only affects..."

"Demons," I said. "I won't swing it at you, but even if I did it would just go right through you. You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. Now I want to see it in action. This is crazy man! This is like something straight out of a video game."

"Alright. That's totally up to you if you stick around while I make it leave."

He sat back and hit the table with his hand.

"This is incredible! You're going to fight off a demon, with that thing?"

"This thing is powerful. In my limited experience so far it is very effective at ridding a premises of an evil spirit."

"Alright! I signed the paperwork. Man I'm glad you found me. I can't wait to see this go down. Let's do this!"

"Do you mind giving me those glasses back?" I asked.

"Oh yeah. Sure. Here you go."

He took them off, put them back on one last time to get a good look at the sword, and then pulled them off and gave them to me. I stowed them in my breast pocket.

"You don't have like a second pair or anything do you?" he asked.

"Sorry. Just the one."

I gathered the signed paperwork and headed back to the haunted living room. He followed after me muttering something about how awesome it was going to be. That was easy for him to say. He didn't have to see the thing I was going to face. He would just get to see me swinging my fist around at open air, unless the demon revealed himself to our mortal eyes. I wasn't really sure how that all worked. I'm still not. I put the papers, and my laptop, away in my bag and sat down on the couch.

"Alright well, I guess I should get to it then. I'm going to try and find the thing. I'm not really sure if they just always hang around the house, or if they come at certain times like when your wife caught it on video."

"Okay man," he said. Now that it was about to happen he didn't sound nearly as excited.

"You said your wife saw it herself. Do you know if it was around the same time?"

"I don't know the exact time, but it was really late at night. She came down to get a glass of water, and thought we had left a light on in this living room. When she came in to turn it off instead she saw a glowing figure sprawled out on the couch. She ran up to our room to wake me up and show me, but when I came down it was gone. On a different night some kind of loud sound woke her up," Nick said.

"Oh yeah. They love to make loud sounds."

"Anyways, I was out of town on business that weekend and so she came down to check it out herself. I wish I would have been home so she wouldn't have had to see it again."

"Yeah, I bet."

"So she comes in this room to check on the noise, and sees the thing again."

"I bet that wasn't a fun phone call to get."

"No it was not. I felt so bad that I wasn't there. That's when she packed up her stuff and headed to her mom's. She did it that night, not even waiting for morning or for me to get home from my trip."

"That really sucks man. It sounds like I'm really going to be helping you out by getting rid of this demon and that's a good thing."

"Why is that?"

"It's the only way they work. I found these things in a box and there was an inscription that said use these tools in the service of others."

"Yep. Totally like a video game," Nick said rubbing his hands together.

"Okay then. Here we go."

It helped a little that someone else was with me, but I was still really freaked out to fight another demon. I pulled the glasses out of my pocket and put them on. The glowing sword appeared at my side. I reach down and pulled it from my belt. I held it up out in front of me and looked around. And I saw...