Chapter 1

The soles of Louis' white shoes made sure to squish further into the earth's soil than he believed was necessary. The dry air took a liking to his already moist skin, causing goosebumps to rise on his arms. He was suddenly grateful he wore jeans today.But for this place to be so high in latitude, it wasn't very cold. He was absolutely sure he'd seen snow when he looked out the window of the plane just minutes before they landed. Nevertheless Louis pushed his glasses up further on the bridge of his nose, then used  his index finger to also move away any stray hairs that fell against his forehead. His grumbling didn't stop when he was handed a box of supplies that was placed roughly into his arms. His fringe added to his anger by covering his eyes, knowing full well he couldn't move it again, because now his hands were full. After furiously blowing air at the unruly bit of hair until he was satisfied with it's placement, Louis hobbled out of the way of the plane. The large empty space apparently was their airport here. He watched it go with sadness and a bit of regret washed into his usual annoyed emotions. Why did he get sent on a job here? Of all places? Do they even have labs in- damnit where was he again?

"Dr.Tomlinson?" Louis' head turned to the right, first taking in a tattooed Lion's face on the person's arm before his eyes finally raised themselves to the speakers face. "This way" he said, walking further away from where they had landed. Louis followed the boy that was also carrying a brown box filled with what few things Louis had brought, his feet dragging against his will along the dirt. Do they not have sidewalks here?

His unasked question was answered with a rush of cold air as he rounded the corner of a nearby building behind- whatever that boys name was. It was like a small town was just settled up here in the mountain tops, every little shop you would need to run a town sat here. Louis could even spot a little town hall down the road from where he stood. 

"Dr.Tomlinson?" the boy called again, he hadn't bothered to stop for Louis but he didn't really need to, as the doctor had finally spotted what he had longed to see- a sidewalk. If Louis was in shape he would have sprinted toward the solid ground, but he wasn't, so he just quickly hobbled along until he was once again behind the person who's name he couldn't remember. Louis eyes fixed on the back of the brunette's head and he sighed heavily as he began to think. It was something with a 'J' wasn't it? Jeremy? Jake? Jonathan? Joe?- "So what do you think so far?" he asked and  Louis scrunched up his nose in irritation, he hated his thoughts being interrupted. 

"uh- well it's quite small"

"Much different from the city huh?" the boy let out a hearty laugh but Louis failed to find the comedy in the strangers statement. 

Louis didin't respond, instead his eyes traveled over the vast background behind the town. White mountains surround every corner and few trees littered the ground around them. "Where will I be staying?" Louis' question had been put off long enough, no one would tell him where exactly his work would be taking place and he failed to see anything of modern technology in this place. 

"You'll be staying at a residence out of town. Some huge mansion type deal, the guy who used to own the place was a scientist but he died a few years back. Now his kid lives there" 

Oh great, an arrogant little boy no doubt, probably completely ignorant and will be an annoyance to my work. Lovely. Just Lovely. As the internal rant went on and Louis continued to follow the brunette down the street, they finally stopped at two older men having a chat by the end of the road, after that it went straight to forest, which Louis hoped he would not be entering. 

One man was about Louis height, but with a very round belly and hair that quite possibly could be whiter than the snow littering the mountain tops around them. He wore a light blue dress shirt, blue jeans and a brown belt. The other man, a bit taller, wore a red flannel, blue jeans, and a black belt with a little gold star pinned to his left breast pocket. This man was a bit younger, he had well kept hair and a handle bar mustache, all a dark brown color.