Chapter 2

Just as Gemma said, Mico, a short korean maid stopped by Louis' cabin and offered for him to join her to dinner. The young woman wore what any normal person would, jeans, a red blouse and some sneakers, but there was a small black apron tied around her tiny torso that differentiated that she was part of the help. Despite her occupation Mico engaged Louis in a deep discussion about how Louis had come into Botany. He was surprised, to say the least, that Mico had such an interest and she even confessed to reading quite a few books on the topic. Louis happily offered for her to come around and watch him work whenever she like, which Mico graciously thanked him for. Their topic progressed to that of college where Louis learned Mico was actually talking courses online at a very nice school in the southern part of Alaska.

The conversation had completely distracted Louis from watching were he was going when they finally made it to the dining hall. It was only upon entering the room, he was able to admire the buildings inner beauty. Mico said a curt goodbye before disappearing through an archway across the room, leaving Louis by himself in the empty space. The Scientist had absolutely no clue what to do here, so he cautiously walked towards the set table and let his fingers glide over the ancient looking furniture. It was Victorian style and rather beautiful. It was the kind of thing his mother would just faun over if she ever saw it. The was a silver plate placed in front of every chair, accompanied by matching silverware and an empty glass and napkins. Suddenly Louis felt like a servant at the kings table.

"Oh good, you're here" the sweet voice came from Louis' right, making him pick his head up just to see Gemma entering with Josh by her side. "I'm sorry to say I don't think Harry will be joining us tonight" she apologized.

"Oh that's alright" he smiled in return. He hadn't the faintest idea who the guy was anyway.

"Great" she beamed. The table could easily sit five people on each side and left one seat at each head of the table. Gemma took the head, and Josh and Louis joined her on either side. Louis felt remarkably awkward about sitting down at dinner in a strangers home. He'd never done something like this before. Not even as a kid visiting a friends house. He was a stay at home kind of boy, always working on something. The only times he really left his home was for school and to play a bit of footie.

Despite Louis inward shyness he managed to scrape by dinner comfortably. Gemma was really one to talk and Louis came to find she was very well educated. She spoke at a very high level, completely matching Louis intellect but she'd always float down and joke like any other human being of her age, which Louis felt he really needed to learn how to do.

When dusk approached Louis found himself walking alone back to his cabin. His shoes dug into the dirt as he nearly slid down the small hill that was their drive. He stopped when the ground leveled again and looked over the lake just across from his cabin, on the left of the wide expanse of water met a lining of trees which Louis knew he'd be exploring early tomorrow. Louis could feel his teeth sinking into his bottom lip as he watched the night darken right before his eyes. It was still relativly light out because it was Alaska but it was gray enough for Louis to know it was time for him to go to sleep.

Louis readied himself to turn and leave but stopped the moment noise hit his ears. For a brief second he thought a bear was going to run out from the forest and eat him but the thought was quickly put to rest at the sight of a boy. Maybe a man, because he was very tall. Louis eyes scanned over the lanky figure emerging from the woods, something strange dangled around his neck and rested like a block right in front of his chest. Louis really couldn't make out what it was because his source of light had dimmed like a cloud covering in front of the sun. The stranger paid no attention to Louis' lonely figure across the yard, his long legs carried him up to the house with ease and left Louis by himself outside just as a cool breeze blew past him.