The Act of Sacrifice

It was The Voice that tore The Doctor. 

It was The Voice that left him broken and hopeless. 

It was The Voice that spoke with a fierce hatred against all that was good. 

"Come on, Doctor, we just need one...let her live through you..."

In an agony so strong his body had gone numb, The Doctor lay on a metal slate, his arms stretched to the side and nailed down by metal bonds.  His feet had the same procedure done as well as his neck-- he could move nothing.  A leather head bondage was buckled around his skull, keeping him from speaking. He was powerless against The Voice and its servants.  The Voice spoke above him, echoing like a dark symphony.  It had a churning texture to it, low and deep, yet smooth and strangely comforting.  "She can live, just let us save her for you.  It's a sacrifice you must make."

The Doctor shook his head and his eyes burned with fury.  He would speak if they had let him, but he knew it would get him nowhere.  Not this time.  

"Then she will die."  The sound of the voice projected into another direction The Doctor was aware of, but could not see visually.  The Doctor knew what was going to happen -- one command from The Voice and all would be over.  The woman he loved would die.  "I will give you a second chance, Doctor."  The room became a dark red and piercing shrills came up from the depths of the Earth.  A maniacal laughter filled the room in conquest and the servants danced in joy at what their master was about to perform.  

A young woman, with ebony hair and eyes a crystal blue, grabbed onto the bars that separated her from The Doctor.  She screamed his name until her voice cracked.  She shook the iron bars, but to no avail, she could not free herself.  Only The Doctor could.  "Please, please, Doctor! Stop it!"  Her voice was drowned out by the laughter and The Voice was now upon her like a thunderstorm.

The Doctor heard her screaming, heard her tears.  As much as he knew what it would cost all of humanity, he stretched out his fingers and found the button he had been instructed to push.  Without a second thought, he smashed the button and The Voice returned to his side.

"Have you made your decision?"

The muzzle was removed and The Doctor replied breathlessly, "Yes! Yes, I have. You may have my heart, just let her go."  With that, The Voice let out a cry of joy and The Doctor's chest caved in.  He screamed and tried to escape the pain, but the imaginary hands continued to plunge into his body.  They ripped, scarred, and wounded The Doctor until they at last pulled out one of his hearts.  And with it, they presented it to The Voice.

"At last, I can live.  At last, you will see my face.  Thank you, Doctor!" 

The Doctor's heart was sucked into the air and disappeared.  A bright light filled the darkness and everything became a blinding colour.  Nothing was heard, and for a moment, everyone began believing the deed had failed.  But when the light faded, and a figure stood over the doctor, everyone knew their champion.

"You beast! You killed him!"  the woman cried, tears streaking down her cheek.  She stared pitifully at the still doctor.  His eyes were closed and a weird liquid dripped from his body.  It wasn't blood, but it wasn't anything like water. 

"Don't worry," The Voice said, turning his face towards her.  A crooked smile appeared and he said softly, "He's still alive."  Pulling his fist back, he aimed it above the doctor's mangled chest and then dug it inside until his cruel fingers curled around the remaining heart.  He gave it a firm pump and The Doctor's eyes opened.  Cackling, The Voice whispered, "Now, I am in control of a god's life.  Thank you, Doctor, thank you."