The Wonderful Doctor

"You've been given life from Harold Saxon?" The Doctor exclaimed in surprise, his dark brown eyebrows bounced up and he showed his teeth through crooked lips. "Well, well, I'm surprised to hear ol' Harry gave something to someone else. He's a selfish bloke-- you must've offered him something in return?"

The Voice replied solemnly, "No. He just wants to know how you will suffer. He told me you are a great Time Lord, so he believes you should have a great, monstrous death in his honour. Do you approve?"

"Not exactly," The Doctor spat back. "I have a deal with you: you send me and Brooke back to where we belong, and you can keep the heart you've taken." It seemed like a large sacrifice on The Doctor's part, but he knew he could regenerate a hand, why not a heart? As long as he had the other one, he could develop a new one. It would take much longer than the hand, and perhaps it wouldn't be a strong heart, but at least he would have two again. "Is that a deal?"

The featureless Voice suddenly came forth from the darkness in a human body. The face was a dark, ancient shade, like a man from an Oriental nation. Strong cheekbones, chocolate brown eyes, and firm, sensual lips. His build was solid and big, making The Doctor look pitifully small. The Voice also had a mane of black lucious hair that flowed down his broad shoulders. His clothing was made of chainmail and satin and silk. He looked like a king. A dark king. "I'm sorry, Doctor, but I need both your hearts." The Voice grabbed The Doctor by the hair and threw him to the ground, where he held him with his one arm.

Breathless, The Doctor saw himself powerless again. The strength that surged through the fingers were like iron clamps digging into his skull. He could feel his skin splitting and his body roared in pain. There had to be a way out. But his only rescue was out in a blue box. "Listen, listen, if you try and put two hearts that belonged to a Time Lord into another body, will be pointless. You will be like a toy with dying batteries; you will not survive for long. You will be making a mistake!"

The Voice loosened his grip and dropped his hand behind The Doctor's neck. Cradling him firmly, he said, "I don't make a mistake. You crossed forbbiden territory, whatever comes onto my side, is mine--,"

"You also said you were waiting me, which means, I didn't break a rule, now did I?" The Doctor gave him a cheeky simper. "Can't back pedal back, can you?"

Angered, The Voice threw The Doctor onto the ground and mercilessly kicked him. Like a ragdoll, he would pick the Time Lord up and then kick him again until he did not move on the floor. "Then, give me another solution, or I'll just terminate you here. A useless journey you've made!"

Looking through a dark stream of blood that had ruptured from his eyebrow, The Doctor watched as The Voice pulled out a dagger. "Brooke, it's time," he whispered as The Voice approached him. The Doctor felt himself flipped onto his back and a shiny weapon brandished just above his last beating heart. Terrorified, he shouted from the depths of his chest, "Come on, you!"

At that, a gush of wind filled the arena the two were in, and the Tardis appeared in the corner. The doors opened and Brooke stepped out. She had a look of instant surprise when she saw where she had ened up, and for a moment, The Doctor believed she was going to jump back into the Tardis and return home. But instead, she bravely stepped forward and said, "Let him go."

Lowering the dagger and laughing, The Voice said, "Really? You sent her back here? She didn't bring an army, now, did she?"

Grinning, The Doctor managed to take out his sonic screwdriver and he threw it at Brooke. "Quick, click it and point it to the centre!"

Without question, Brooke did as she was told. The sonic screwdriver whistled and the huge, translucent tube in the middle of the time machine whirled and lit up into a bright blue. The Voice looked over at the noise, giving The Doctor enough time to throw him off and stagger to his feet. Once he had found his strength, The Doctor snatched The Voice and turned his chest towards the blue light, which struck out from the Tardis and entered into The Voice's body. At that moment, the world became mute. Not a sound could be heard. And then, a buzz of electricity returned in the form of an ear-splitting scream. The Voice vanished into the air, leaving The Doctor and Brooke in the middle of the floor.

"We did it!" The Doctor rejoiced, scrambling to his feet. He ran towards Brooke, his arms open to receive her, but before he had a chance to welcome her back, a minion jumped out from the entrance and drove a pole through Brooke's body. The Doctor yelled in pain, as if he had felt it as well. His voice thundered like waves and cracked like a bolt of lightening. He rushed forward and kicked the minion in the face, sending it rolling to the ground. With his fist, he knocked its head over and over and over again until it did not move.

The Doctor heard Brooke's body slump to the ground and the pole clinked against the floor. Feeling tears well up in his eyes, he looked at the girl's body. "Brooke, I'm so sorry." He dropped down beside her and fixed his arms around her. "You weren't supposed to come back. I had set the date wrong. You were supposed to go home."

Brooke opened her eyes and then closed them. She said softly through a smile, "You didn't get it wrong, Doctor, I re-set it. While I was in your blue-box-thing, I travelled a bit. And I saw the marvellous things you've done. I went back into time and saw the bits where you've been." She lifted a hand and placed it on his warm cheek, "You are so wonderful and so good."

"You're not going to die here." Determined, The Doctor loped her arm around his neck and made for the Tardis before he spotted something oval and fleshy on the ground where The Voice had stood. "Blimey, it's my heart!" He set Brooke against the phone booth and went over to the still beating organ. "Gross lil' thing, aren't ya?" Scooping the heart into his hands, he patted the spot where it belong in his chest. Now, he's an alien and he's also somewhat a demi-god, meaning, he can do anything impossible. Carefully, The Doctor peeled the skin from his chest, revealing a cave, and there, he fixed his heart back in side. "Ahh! I feel terrific! Much better. Now, Brooke--- Brooke?"

The girl did not answer. Her lips were parched, her face was white, and her eyes were glassy. She was dead.

"No, no, no, Brooke, you can't do this. I was going to save you, you stupid girl." The Doctor felt streams of tears rush down his face and stain the floor. He walked over to her and sat down beside her. He took her cold hand into his and gazed at her pale face. "I realised why I think you're different from the rest. I know we haven't gotten to know each other, but I know that you are to stay with me awhile. Keep me safe, because I'm beginning to think there are more horrible things up ahead that I can't face alone." In a different tone, one that was more childlike and pleading, he lifted the girl's face to his and whimpered, "Please don't leave me alone!" And there, The Doctor broke into tears and his arms found their way around the girl's body. He pulled her so close he could feel his own heart beat against hers.

Squeezing his eyes shut and gritting his teeth together, he did something he had never tried before. He regenerated while holding onto another being. And not just any being, but a human. The Doctor's body lit up in a flaming yellow and his eyes became orbs of flame. The world shook and beams of light shot out from the sides of his body. The light encircled Brooke and cradled her there until the regeneration was done. Exhausted, The Doctor's body dropped and his breath came out in short huffs.

"Doctor, are you all right?" came a soft voice above him.

The Doctor's face crinkled in a smile and he turned over onto his stomach and pushed himself up onto his knees. "Brooke? Is that you?"

"Of course it's me! What happened?"

"I-well-long story short, I brought you back." Smiling in joy, he flung his arms around her and laughed. "Wait, how do I look? Am I ginger?"

Brooke pulled away just far enough so that she could study The Doctor's face. "You look the same? You need rest though and a cuppa tea. But other than that, you're stellar!"

"So, I'm not a ginger?" The Doctor asked disappointingly. "Becuase what I just did, usually turns me into somebody else."

"But I don't want you to be 'somebody else,'" Brooke began as she and The Doctor stood up. "I like you how you look right now."

The Doctor felt both his hearts thud against his ribs and a glow seemed to rush about his body, making his affections for Brooke grow. Taking her hand into his, they walked into the Tardis. "All right, Brooke, you sort of know how to work this, so, you know what's goign to happen?"

"Are we going to go somewhere else? Will it be scary?"

Cranking up the machine, The Doctor announced like a new captain of his ship, "It won't be scary, you've got me! Now, let's fire her up, we're going to take a walk down the timeline!" And with that, the wonderful doctor pulled the lever and the blue box took off in the endless void of time.

THE END