The Doctor's Command

The Voice casted both the woman and doctor into the magical blue Tardis, where they were to be held as hostages until further assignments. The Tardis was The Doctor's time machine, but under an evil spell, it could not travel anywhere.  The doors were shut and it was just the two of them, prisoners in the box that had taken them into an unidentified planet. 

"Doctor?"  the woman whimpered, pulling herself to her weak feet.  Her name was Brooke Lovelace and she was from London.  She had a very ordinary life before she had met The Doctor, in fact, everyone had before they met The Doctor.  Once she was on her feet, she stumbled over to her friend pulled him into her lap.  Smoothing his sweat-soaked fringes and kissing his cold forehead, she examined the hole where his heart had been.  He wasn't human, therefore, he wasn't dead.  But without his second heart, he wasn't exactly a true Time Lord.  "Doctor?  Please wake up."  Looking around the Tardis, she tried to remember if he kept a First Aid aboard.  But she couldn't remember. 

"Oh, that hurt!"  The Doctor cried out, trying to lift himself into the sitting position.  Brooke pushed him down and told him not to get up.  "My heart, we have to get it back."

"No, we have to seal you up first, where's your First Aid?" 

Feeling crusty scabs forming around his wound, The Doctor made a displeased face.  "Haven't got one on board with me."

"Can't we go back in time and get your heart back?"

"Not that simple, the Tardis is chained.  I can feel the weight, poor ol' girl."  The Doctor let out a shaky gasp and his jaw clenched in pain.  "Brooke, in that chest over there, I've got a jacket, hand it to me."

Shooting him a surprised face, she exclaimed, "That's your First Aid, a jacket?  My dear Doctor, that's not going to replace your heart."  She kissed him on the temple.

"Oh no, of course not, but it will cover this awful hole."  The Doctor stood up and stumbled over to the chest.  With Brooke's help, he unlocked the chest and pulled out his blue suit.  He looked at it fondly and stripped off his light brown suit.  He worked the new suit on and buttoned it.  No one would know he had a hole in his chest.  "Now, listen, the second heart needs to get back to me before its corrupted.  A heart is like a human, once it gains a mind and feelings of its own, it'll be hard to change back to the original source."

"But, you're a good doctor, aren't you?  It'll take awhile for The Voice to make it evil, right?"

Smiling, The Doctor gave her a long, warm kiss and then broke it quickly.  "You're right, it'll take awhile.  But my heart adapts quickly.  The one heart I have left will not last long.  It needs the other to survive."  Stopping in mid-sentence, he waved a finger at Brooke, "you humans should have two hearts, it'll make things so much easier."

"Yes, but there's only one Time Lord, anyway." 

"Have I disappointed you?"  The Doctor said, joshing with her.

Brooke fled forward and embraced him.  The top of her head fitted perfectly under his chin.  "No, no, you have not.  You saved me: traded your heart for my life."

"A sacrifice I was willing to risk."  He broke from her side and walked around the core of his time machine.  A spidery finger drummed his chin and his large brown eyes studied the mechanics.  "Such a shame she won't fly.  But we're locked inside.  None of the screen's work, we'll have no idea-- no, no, no!"

"What is it?"

Grabbing onto the tufts of his hair, he spun around and faced Brooke with sheer horror.  "My sonic screwdriver!  Blind me!  I could've--well, it might not have worked--oh, but it could have!  We have to get out of here, if they come for us, they'll probably kill me and burn you!"

"But, they can't kill you, you're like a god!  You have powers!  I'm sure you can-- or must you have two hearts?"

The Doctor gave her a sad look.  "I'm afraid I'm a little more human.  But, I'll think of something."  The Doctor pivoted on his heels and went over to a dashboard before his legs buckled beneath him and he fell to the floor, clutching his chest.  His face filled with pain and his breathing began strong huffs.  Brooke ran over to him and fell beside him.  "Brooke, if I don't make it--,"

"Don't be stupid," Brooke interuppted, passing a hand over his damp face.  "You're The Doctor, you'll think of something."

"Brooke, let me finish!  If I don't make it, and they come in, you must get the Tardis running, understand?  You've seen me do it, you'll know how.  But if they open the doors, it'll activate it.  The doors are closed and sealed with supernatural bondage, if they're open, it'll give you a moment to start her up, are you following?  Oh, don't cry.  Please, Brooke, it makes me sad."

"Oh, don't cry, Doctor, I don't mean to make you.  It's just," she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and pressed her cheek against his forehead.  "You mean too much to me.  I can't lose you."

"You won't, just do as I say.  I might fall asleep, but whatever happens, don't let them take me, and start up the Tardis as soon as you can!"  The Doctor gave her one long look before he fell into darkness.  His hand fell limp against the floor and he left her alone.