Energy Source

Clinging to The Doctor's head, Brooke held him tight.  She couldn't let go.  It felt like if she did, he'd disappear.  She loved The Doctor, but not like he loved her.  She saw him merely as a collegue and a friend to roam around with, she did not know the extent of The Doctor's love for her.  It was fierce.  It was terrifying.  It was passionate.  And he kept it all to himself, knowing that if he showed Brooke how he really felt, her heart would physically burst from his affections.  "Doctor, wake up?  Don't leave me alone!"

With a sharp gasp, The Doctor opened his eyes as if her words were magic.  "Ah, Brooke, did I fall asleep?"

"Yes, yes, you did.  For a moment, please don't do it again." 

The Doctor made to speak through his smile, but a rage of agony gripped his body and he quickly turned his face away.  He coughed.  His body tensed up and began rattling violently. 

"Doctor?  What's the matter, what can I do?"

"Connect me to the Tardis--I can't breathe!"  He slipped off her lap and attempted to crawl towards the centre of his machine.  Brooke held him back and stood up, searching for the "connection."

"What am I looking for?"  she screamed, her hands fumbling over the equipment.  If only she had listened to The Doctor when he gave her a tour of the controls.

In a feeble voice, The Doctor said,  "That plug, right there.  Unhook it, and run it through me.  Don't be scared, I'll be--," he stopped and his teeth gnashed together as he felt his body panic under its horrid condition.  "Hurry, Brooke!  I can't--,"

"I've got it, I've got it," Brooke said, falling down beside him.  She held up a large bendy pipe, but didn't do anything with it for she wasn't confident enough to do it on her own.  "What do I do?  Do I put it inside?"  She made for his open wound, but he weakly pushed her hand away.

"No, no, not there!  This will hurt, it won't look right --but I'm not exactly human-- you've got to put it down my throat."

Jerking her hands away, Brooke refused.  "I can't, you'll die."

"I'll die without it.  The energy will feed me.  My open wound won't understand what you're doing if you put it in my heart.  Just trust me. Pretend it's surgical, all right?  I won't move."  He gave her a pair of trusting brown eyes, making her give into his instructions.

"All right, what do I do afterwards?  The Tardis isn't running, it won't give you energy."

"We can power it up, she won't go anywhere, but it'll be enough.  Hurry."  The Doctor guided her hands and the instrument to his mouth.  With great precision, he fitted it in his mouth and began slowly pushing it down.  Every time Brooke hesistated, he gave her a gentle squeeze around her small hands.  Faithfully, she inserted the tube into his throat and when it had entered into the pit of his stomach, a wan doctor gave her the command to turn The Box on.  Shaking, Brooke found her footing and walked over to the lever.  It was so daunting.  It looked so ordinary when The Doctor handled it.  And oh! how he worked the lever with such grace and strength.  Looking back at the poor doctor, she closed her eyes, wished herself good luck, and took hold of the handle. 

Her fingers curled around the cold metal and then, she pushed it forward.  It gave way underneath her and the floor beneath her jumped to life.  Whirling, beeping, and hissing filled the room. Turning around, she saw The Doctor's body jerk and pop in sporadic movements as a yellow energy source entered into his body.  Like the sun filtering into a dark room, beams of light shot out from his body until he appeared as a glowing being. Not wanting to see him in such a contortion, she made the decision to close the project.  She pulled the lever down and ran to his side.  His body collasped into her arms and a smile dimpled his cheeks.

Opening his eyes slowly, he said proudly, "Good work, I feel a bit better."

"Do you?  Did it work?"

"It filled the empty spot where my heart was, it'll give me enough time to find a plan."

"Do you know what The Voice is going to do?  Why does it want your heart?"

Sitting up and ruffling his hair, he pursed his thin lips and draped his arms over his bent knees.  "I'm the last of my kind.  He wants me on their side.  What other way to win me than to convert my hearts?"

Laying a hand on his chest, Brooke gave him a terrified look.  "He'll take your other?"

"Sounds like it.  But don't be a Debbie-downer!  Chin up! We got lots of work to do-- we want to be ready for when they come and fetch us!"  He popped to his feet and clapped his hands together in puppy-like enthusiam. With a new strength, he scaled up the Tardis walls and up to where the points met at the ceiling. 

"What are you going to do?"

The Doctor stopped and looked down at her, practically clinging upside down, with a cheeky jerk of his chin, he said michiviously, "It's a surprise, my dear Brooke.  They're not going to have it so easy!"