Life Is Short

"Hey dude" Craig said as he sat next to me "I heard about the crash and got my mom to drive me over."

I froze up, this was the first time I'd talked to him since I developed feelings. "Are you ok? You seem tense."

"No no, I'm ok."

"Alright, my dad said you could spend the night at my house if you don't get grounded."

His mom called for me and him to get in the car. I told here to wait a minute because I wanted to talk to Kyle and Stan. I walked over to the ambulance they were sitting. Stan was shivering and Kyle was holding him. "Hey Stan, sorry I wrecked your dads car." I said. "It's ok dude." He replied in a shaky voice "It's my fault for making you drive, you didn't want to."

"Yeah and look at the bright side," Kyle started "you could try to make a move with Craig tonight." He smiled and we all hugged it out. Craig's mom honked her horn. "Coming." I shouted pulling away from the hug. "I waved to them as I got in the car and we started driving.

"So you're not shaken at all?" Craig asked. "I'm surprised I even agreed to get in a car." I said looking out the window. "Why didn't your parents come?" Craig's mom asked me. "They turn all the phones off during working hours." I replied. Craig saw that I was shivering and gave me his coat. I looked at the floor so he couldn't tell I was blushing.

We got back to the shop and my parents didn't even know about the incident. I ran upstairs and got a change of clothes. I came back down and asked if I could stay the night at Craig's house. I finished all of my chores so they let me go.

   I got there around 8:30 and Craig answered the door. We watched old horror movies that he had lying around. Most were really old things on VHS. We watched the first Evil Dead movie and he got the bright idea to watch the remake. I was so goddamn scared I barely looked at the screen. It was so gory that when I did I only saw red. He looked over at me and saw that I was scared. "Hey, if it's to scary I can turn it off."

   "N-no, It's fine."

   Something about his genuine concern made me blush. Now there were two reasons to hide my face. Against my better judgement I scooted next to him and wrapped my arms around him shoving my face into his chest. "Whoa! OK!" He shouted. "Gah! I'm sorry I was just, I mean uh, I wasn't trying to-" I stammered but I couldn't think of an excuse. "It's ok the movie was to much, I'll turn it off now."

   He turned it off and put on live tv. He put on the Terrence and Philip movie. "Man so much nostalgia, I remember when this movie started a war." The room suddenly got colder and colder and colder. "Oh god the heat went off, I'll be right back." He went upstairs and came back with a large blanket. "This is the only blanket I have so we'll just have to share."

   I was blushing so much that the heat my face was giving off could probably melt all of Antarctica. Nonetheless I got under the blanket. After about an hour I couldn't take it anymore, I had to tell him. "Craig, I like you, as more than a friend, I want to real date you." He sat there and just stared at me. "Well It's getting late I'm gonna go to bed now." He walked up the stairs. I heard his door close and then him whispering.

   My eyes filled with tears but I blinked them away. The next day he never came downstairs and I left without a word.