Chapter 5

"Come on Nico! We gotta go!" Kris yelled as she grabbed my hand pulling me towards the amphitheater. We both burst into the doors out of breath as the assistant teacher was in the middle of roll call. I gulped as the young woman glared down at us, but soon the actual teacher came over clapping her hands together.

"I am so sorry Ms. Santana and Mr. Di Angelo," she started, bowing a bit in apology, "I am sorry that the music shop did not receive the recent note saying your instruments were already at class."

I nodded shakily as I looked at Kris. The first day had been a bit crazy...

<time lapse>

"Hey Nico!!!!!!" Kris yelled as she ran towards me. I waited outside Building D. She put her hands on her knees and caught her breath before looking up at me before muttering some Spanish curses I could barely understand. She huffed.

"You seriously need a phone," she muttered as she unfurled a piece of paper in her hand. I grimaced, remembering how Chiron and Annabeth keep saying that phones are a death sentence to demigods. She glanced at her silver watch before giving me a glare.

"Who decides to be 1 hour early before class!!!!!!" she shrieked as I shrugged.

"Me," I said grinning before I got slapped upside the head.

"Baka," she muttered and I raised my eyebrows. She waved it off before stomping inside, me following slowly behind her.

"So....What'd you need?" I asked cautiously, feeling the anger radiating off of her. She stomped and I winced, feeling the impending storm coming.

"OHHHHHHH! YOU MEAN WHEN I FREAKING RAN A MILE JUST TO GET TO YOU THINKING I WAS LATE!!!!" she hissed loudly in my face and I flinched before she softened up.

"Come on, I'll tell you on the way up," she said and I followed. Building D was beautiful in its own way, with regular white walls and many glass windows, allowing a lot of light to flow in. Everywhere you walked though, there were pictures and plaques that showed famous math professors or students that went on to collage and majored in mathematics. We slowly climbed up the white steps as Kris started talking.

"Well we're not getting our instruments this period," she said and I stopped.

"Why not?" I asked, my voice slightly shaking. Kris turned around and grabbed my hand, sighing.

"I can't believe you're still worrying," she said with a frown and I cringed.

"I mean you have no reason too," she continued dragging me up the steps. I thought of the first time I saw Apollo, after Bianca joined the Hunters. He was all shining and bright, perfect to be the god of music, while here I am, dark and a basically the son of death. How the heck am I even fit to touch a single instrument, let alone touch one?

I looked at Kris. I could still remember what she said yesterday.

That was the best laugh I had in years...

I wouldn't have been able to believe it at first glance, but she seemed pretty sad if you ever had a chance to really look at her. She had dark bags under her eyes that you couldn't see in the sunlight and almost everywhere you go with her, her  fingers are tapping away on anything and her eyes look around the room nervously before relaxing. It was also weird that at some pint of time she mentions something, she waves it off like nothing. Especially if we land on topics of the past, she practically steers clear of them.

She walked up the stairs, drumming her fingers on the side bar, before looking back at me.

"Why didn't you want to do music anyways?" she asked and I sighed, running a hand through my hair.