Chapter 8 - All Too Much.

Hazel's P.O.V.

"Hurry, mother! They're after us!" Mr. Beaver yelled as soon as Peter, Susan, Lucy, and I ran back into the dam.

While we were at the castle, the wolves started howling in the distance and we knew that we had to leave. She already had Marcel and Edmund. She would do anything to get her hands on the rest of us.

"Oh! Right then!" Mrs. Beaver said as she grabbed a basket & started putting food inside.

"What is she doing?" Peter asked Mr. Beaver, but he just shook his head and placed his face in his hands. I couldn't help, but laugh slightly.

"You'll be thanking me later! It's a long journey, and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry." She said as she packed the food.

"I'm cranky now!" He yelled.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asked us.

"Only if the witch serves toast!" Peter joked, but was still scared. Lucy grabbed my hand, and I squeezed it assuringly. Somehow, I just had this feeling that this would work out. We would be okay tonight.

"We're going to be fine, Lu." I assured her as I watched Susan and Mrs. Beaver pack the basket of food.

"How do you know that?" She asked me with tears threatening to spill.

"I just know." I told her with a small smile, "Trust me."

As I spoke those words, we heard scratching from outside the dam. Small parts of branches started falling inside the house, and Lucy gasped as her arms flew around my waist. They were here.

"Let's go!" Mr. Beaver yelled as he opened a door at the back of the dam. On the floor was a small opening, which led to a tunnel underground. Mr. Beaver jumped inside first, and Mrs. Beaver jumped in right behind him. Susan, Peter, and I helped Lucy down the tunnel and Susan went right behind her. Peter grabbed a lantern off the wall as he helped me down the tunnel. He jumped inside right after me and we followed the others through the tunnel.

"Badger and I dug this. Comes out right near his place!" Mr. Beaver told us as we ran through.

"You told me it led to your mom's!" Mrs. Beaver said to him. Lucy tripped, which caused all of us to stop. Susan helped her up, but we heard barking not far behind us in the tunnel. My heart started pounding as I looked at the others.

"They're in the tunnel." Lucy whispered to us.

"This way!" Mr. Beaver said as we ran down the tunnel. We ran for a couple of more minutes, but we stopped again when Mr. Beaver hit a dead end. I heard the wolves behind us, and my hands instantly went up and gripped Peter's arm, who was also looking behind us.

"You should've brought a map!" Mrs. Beaver said to him.

"There was no room next to the jam!" Mr. Beaver said back to her.

He climbed through the hole above the dead end, and Mrs. Beaver sighed as she followed her husband. Peter made sure Susan, Lucy, and I went before him. I climbed up the hole, and I walked out into the snowy forest. Peter was the last person out, and him and Mr. Beaver pushed a barrel against the the hole to block the wolves. I heard a yell behind me, and I saw Lucy laying on a pile of stone animals. I helped Lucy up, and I felt myself sadden at the sight.

The woods was very dark and very quiet. The only reason there was a little bit of light was because of the moon shining on the snow. There were many statues of animals surrounding us, and we all knew what had happened. The witch had done this to these poor animals. Mr. Beaver walked up to one of the statues, which was a badger. I immediately started to feel sorry for him because it was his best friend, Badger.