o n e

"Get him out of here!" Derell yells as the police hold me down. Erin cries in the corner, surrounded by broken glass covered in blood. She mouths 'I'm sorry' to me through her crying faces.

"Get that piece of shit out of my house immediately!" Derell yells.

"Sir i need you to calm down." The officer tells him. Derell stands back with a sly smirk on his face.

"Fuck you man! I'm sorry Erin." I call to them. The police officers stand me up and we walk outside into the hot summer air. Blue and red lights flash on top of the police car. "Oh yeah, you have the right to remain silent." The cop says from behind me. I tune out the rest of the speech. Neighbors stand on the sidewalk watching as I'm being stuffed into the dirty backseat. Through the window i see the second officer speak to Derell while Erin stands silently at the door. We make eye contact and she walks back into the house.

As they drive away I sit silently in the backseat with a black eye and a busted lip.

Derell is, well was, my piece of shit foster dad who abused me and his wife Erin. Erin always wanted a son so on one of his good days, Derell applied for foster care to please Erin. But Derell is a drunk with anger issues and he snapped. I've always seen his true colors because I've dealt with guys like him all my life. But Erin couldn't see it. Her infatuation was too deep. After I had forgotten to take out the trash he went off and hit me, hence the busted lip. Erin tried to take up for me so he busted her too. The most fucked up part is that I don't think Erin will leave after this. She's might die in that house.

We reach the station and go through the procedure. I take my mug shots with a mean mug.

I'm put in a cell by myself. I lay on the uncomfortable bed with my eyes open. Unable to sleep with all that's on my mind. I don't have long in here because it was just a small violence charge. Tasha is gonna be pissed though.

Tasha is my social worker. She helps place me in homes since im a foster kid. The last few homes she had found have seemed nice until the end. The home before the one I was just arrested from was good. Until my foster mom tried to have sex with me. I wasn't okay with it and she tried to push up on me when I said no. She tried to rape me but I was bigger so I was able to get away. I called Tasha and she took me back to the foster home agency. Of course Greg's bitch ass was there just happy to see me.

Greg is the home owner. When it comes to the kids in that house he has favorites. And those are usually the kids who get picked for adoption. He believes nobody will ever pick me. He hates me.

I hear crying as soon as the door opens. The police walk a guy to a cell beside mine. The guy gives me an evil glare. I shake it off and close my eyes.

After two days of being in a holding cell they release me. Tasha is at the front sitting in the lobby waiting on me. She gets up and smacks me upside my head as we walk out of the station. We get in the car and we sit there for a moment.

Tasha sighs and shakes her head. "What the hell Bryson ?" She yells.

"It wasn't what you think it was." i start.

"Then what the hell was it?" she asks.

"He beat her. He's swung on me before but I let it slide. Erin was sweet, she was the one taking care of me. Derell would beat her too. I would try to stop it if i could. This time he was mad and came at me. I wasn't feeling it so I fought back. But Erin tried to stop him so he went in on her. I couldn't let that happen so I got on him and beat his ass- sorry. Then Erin called the cops on Derell." i explained.

"If she called the cops on Derell then how did you get arrested?" she asked.

"He turned it on me. Said I went crazy. Said he was tryna protect Erin. Fucking bastard." I hit the dash board in frustration.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm sorry." she rubbed my back.

The ride back to the home was silent. No radio. No talking. Just the sound of our breathing and the passing cars.

Once we got to the home and walked in, Tasha led me to the dining room so I could eat. I sat down and waited for my plate. Greg came in and leaned on the wall. I tried not to look at him since I was already in a bad mood.

"So you're back again. Told you nobody wanted you." Greg sneered. "You're nothing. Can't even sit down, shut up, and do as you're told so you can keep a family."  I tuned him out as much as possible. Tasha came in with the food and set it in front of me. I thanked her and started eating.

"Greg shut up. And stop being so hateful." Tasha said.

"I'm just speaking the truth." Greg said.

"Leave the boy alone!" Tasha yelled at him.

"Boy? That ain't no boy! He's about to be 18. 18 years and he still couldn't manage a family for at least 6 months. He'll have to figure out something soon or the next place he'll be in is jail. And they'll keep him there."

I snapped. "Shut up!" I said while standing up and walking over to Greg. Tasha grabbed my arm.

"What's up tough guy? Tryna go right back into your cell?" Greg taunted me.

Tasha stepped between us and pushed me away. I huffed then went upstairs to my room.

I strip and get in the shower. As the water runs over me I let it take all my stress of the past couple of weeks with it down the drain. I get out, dry off, and then throw on some boxers. I see a tray with the food i left downstairs sitting on my bed. There's a note on it.

Don't listen to him
~Tasha

I sigh and sit down to eat. I have the room to myself because all of my roommates got adopted. Even my crazy ass nigga Renny. Me and Renny haven't spoke in a while but it's whatever. I've learned to accept that shit don't last.

I can't wait to get out of this place though. Make it on my own. Start getting into my career as a singer. Maybe even buy this place one day and actually help the young people find good homes. Not those fucked up temporary shits.

Whatever I'm gonna go to sleep, thinking like this gone get my hopes up way too high.