t h i r t e e n

I lay down on my bed and stare at my ceiling. I have an ice pack sitting on my knuckles to relieve the pain. It's been a while since I've gotten into a fight so my hand surely wasn't ready.

Suddenly my phone starts ringing, I pick it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Are you serious?" Krista yells in my ear. "I can't believe you gone defend her when you have me? She couldn't defend herself? She's a big girl, let that hoe handle her damn self. She doesn't need you Bryson! And you know what? Neither do I!"

"Good." I hang up in her face and put my phone back down.

I wonder if India is okay. She ran away after the fight and I don't know if she felt bad. I hope that crazy ass nigga ain't get her upset. His weak ass needs to leave her alone.

"Bryson!" Harley comes running into my room and jumps on my bed. I grab her and kiss her cheek.

"Hey squirt, how was your day?" I ask.

"Good. I ate gold fish today!" She says with a wide smile. I nod in approval. "What happened to your hand?"

I move the ice pack and hold it out to her. "It got hurt but it's okay now." She grabs my hand and kisses it.

"All better!" She says happily. I smile at her and tell her it's all better.

"What's all better?" Michelle comes in and leans on the door. "What's that ice for?"

"Bryson hurt his hand." Harley tells her.

"How?"

"I kind of punched this guy." I say in a low voice. I hope this doesn't change her mind. A lot of foster homes don't like kids who fight no matter what it's about. I really like it here, I hope this shit don't get me kicked out. "I'm sorry Michelle. He was messing with India and he grabbed her so I was just helping her then he came after me."

"He grabbed her? Oh Bryson I'm proud of you for helping her. Can't believe dudes are still that crazy. And in public? I'm glad you knocked some sense into him." She folds her arms over her chest and shakes her head.

"So you're not mad at me?" I ask surprised.

"No not at all. I wish you didn't have to get physical but I completely understand. I would've knocked his ass out too." She says. I chuckle. "So how is India?"

"I don't know. She left school right when it happened and I haven't talked to her all day. She hasn't replied to any of my texts." I explain.

"You should go to her house and check on her." She suggests.

"You sure?" I ask.

"Yeah that'll really show her that you care. Take the car."

I get up and grab my phone. "Thank you so much." She kisses my cheek and sends me on my way.

"Bryson!" Harley calls my name. I go back to her and give her a hug.

"I'll be back squirt." She nods. I run downstairs and get in the car.

I get to her house and park in the driveway. I turn off the engine and get out. Timidly, I walk to the door and knock. After a few seconds the door opens and I see India's small frame in a black, cropped sweatshirt and some red, plaid shorts.

"Bryson?" She asks with confusion in her voice. "Why are you here?" She puts her palm to her forehead and sighs. "The project I'm sorry."

"It's okay ma, we're presenting on Monday. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

She steps back and lets me in. We sit on the couch and look at each other.

"He just knows how to work my nerves." She rolls her eyes.

"That's your ex or something?" I ask. She nods.

"We had a bad relationship though. He only wanted some pussy." She says sadly.

"Nigga is dumb."

"Why you say that?" She asks. "Even though it's true."

"Because you're a great girl. You're cool as fuck, I don't see how a nigga could play you." I say honestly. "And girl you got it going on. With you're fine ass."

She laughs and I see her cheeks start to turn red. "Thank you."

"There we go, I just wanted to make sure he didn't erase that smile."

"I appreciate it."

"Well I guess my job is done here. I'll get out of your hair now." I get up and walk to the door. India walks behind me to lock the door. I turn around to give her a hug. I wrap my arms around her and instead of looking at her ass I burry my face in her neck and breathe in her sweet smell. She hugs me tightly and I hear her sigh.

I back up and look her in her eyes to see if she's okay. She looks back and I get stuck. Her freckles and long lashes compliment her beautiful, big, brown eyes. I then look down at her perfect pink lips. I put my finger under her chin and lift her head so our lips can meet. I kiss her gently then step back. She puts her head down and scratches the back of her neck.

"You good?" I ask. She nods. "You sure? I can stay longer if you want me to."

She shakes her head. "Go back to Harley, I know she misses you."

"Alright. Bye Love." I say while stepping out of the door.

"Bye B."