The Ring

(A/N: This chapter contains some mature themes, sorry if it upsets or offends anyone)
Beorn's POV
Slowly, Ellavin began to heal. She was quiet most days, often staying in her room and reading. I didn't blame her, as she had told me she was travelling with several other elves as well as her twin brother when the snowstorm hit. They were nowhere to be found when I had discovered her, and it was too dangerous outside to send a message to Lothlorien, where she came from. She spoke very little of herself, that's until one evening.
~<><><>~
She had been reading to me again, and had just set the book down.
"That was beautiful," I complimented. Ellavin nodded, not looking at me. She was fiddling with something.
"Ellavin?" I said, frowning. She didn't respond, still fiddling with whatever it was. I moved forward, taking her hand away from the object.
~<><><>~
It was a ring. On the second smallest ringer of her left hand. The jewel in the middle was a dark emerald and the band was golden. Ellavin froze at my touch, still refusing to meet my gaze.
"What is this?" I asked, my tone gentle.
"M-my engagement r-ring," she stammered. A strange feeling suddenly hit me, as if I had just swallowed a handful of snow. My insides were cold. I shook myself a little, hoping that would get rid of it. It didn't. I looked back to Ellavin, who was looking down at the ring. Her bluey-grey eyes were full of tears, and she was very quiet. I placed a hand on her arm.
"Ellavin?" I said.
"D-don't m-make me leave h-here," she whispered hoarsely "D-don't make m-me g-go b-back to h-him." Her tone was full of fear and she seemed very upset. Cautiously, I wrapped an arm around her in a comforting way. She shifted and leant against me so her head was on my chest. I put the other arm around her and looked down at the she-elf in my arms.
"What's wrong Ellavin?" I asked gently. She was silent for a few moments, tears running down her pale face.
"I-I can't g-go b-back, n-not t-to h-him," she sobbed.
"Who?" I said.
"M-my fiancée," she replied. I frowned, holding her a little closer. I knew there was something badly wrong. The force of her sobs shook her whole body, and she curled up very close to me, one hand holding onto my tunic.
"P-please d-don't m-make m-me g-go b-back," she sobbed.
"Why don't you want to go home?" I asked, my tone still gentle "Your brother may be there."
"H-Halfaeren and his family are the o-only ones that care for m-me." Halfaeren was her twin brother, she had spoke of him before. He had a wife called Aeria, who was four months pregnant.
"What about your fiancée?" I whispered. I felt Ellavin flinch.
"H-he h-h-hates m-me," she wept. I frowned, confused. Skin changers only married for love, as we only loved once.
"Doesn't he love you?" I asked. She shook her head.
"H-he was forced to m-marry m-me b-by his p-parents, th-they s-said we'd b-be a g-good m-match." Ellavin continued crying, her frail body still shaking. I ignored the confusion and held her closer, feeling her shudder in my arms.
"H-he hates m-me, c-calls m-me a-a b-burden, a-and..." She cried, hiding her face in my tunic. I could feel something, and it was different to the cold feeling from earlier. I hated the thought of someone making her feel that way, and my grip tightened on her slightly.
"And what Ellavin?" I whispered. Her reply was murmured, sobs making it almost unintelligible.
"H-h-he h-hurts m-m-me."
~<><><>~
Those three words changed my mood instantly. Hatred of this elf pierced me to my core, and I felt my eyes change. How could anyone hurt Ellavin? She was kind and gentle, perhaps a little outspoken but it was part of her charm.    I found myself holding the crying elf close to me, whispering things in my mother tongue, trying to calm her. One of my hands was behind her head, slightly entangled in her hair, the other about her waist. Slowly, Ellavin stopped crying. She had her arms tightly wrapped around me, her face nuzzled into my chest. I had never been this close to a female before, apart from my own mother of course.
"D-don't make me go back," Ellavin whispered.
"I won't," I replied "You may stay here as long as you like."
~<><><>~
Ellavin smiled tearfully then, her eyes red from crying. I felt a crooked smile flicker across my own face, my fangs hidden. I didn't want to scare her, she was upset enough. She laid her head back on my chest, shutting her eyes. I found myself stroking her hair gently.
My voice was as soft as ever, trying to keep the elf calm.
"Sleep Ellavin, you're safe here."
Soon enough she was asleep in my arms, her rose petal lips slightly parted as she breathed evenly. She was holding onto me tightly, making it impossible for me to move.
~<><><>~
I looked down at the sleeping she elf. I felt... strange. I had never felt anything like it before. A strange feeling in my chest, as if my blood had been set ablaze. And Ellavin seemed different too, as if I was seeing her through another's eyes. She was... beautiful.
"Snap out of it Beorn," I muttered to myself, although I only half believed it.
~<><><>~
It was dark outside, and I was growing tired, but Ellavin was holding me tightly. I knew there was no other option. Slowly, I manoeuvred myself so we were laid down, Ellavin beside me with her head still on my chest. She didn't stir, although a slight smile appeared on her face. I laid back against the pillows, shutting my eyes.
"Goodnight Ellavin," I whispered, although she wouldn't hear me. I fell asleep then, with her in my arms.