Thoughts and Sandwiches

(A/N: Sorry this is just a bit of a filler chapter, I needed to introduce a couple of new characters. Enjoy!)
~<><><>~
Slowly, I woke up. The sun had been in the sky for hours and I cursed myself for not waking sooner. I went to get up but I felt a weight against me. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and looked at what it was. Ellavin. She was still asleep, her face peaceful and almost... beautiful. I cursed myself again.
"Wake up you dozy old fool," I muttered to myself. Ellavin shifted next to me, frowning slightly. I looked at her, not wanting to move. Her beautiful (stop it!) eyes fluttered open, and for a moment she smiled softly at me. Then she seemed to realise how close we were together and sat up, rubbing her eyes.
"Maara kale," she mumbled sleepily. I raised an eyebrow.
"Common tongue please," I said. She went quiet for a moment, before saying:
"Good morning."
I smiled
"Better."
~<><><>~
The snow had settled outside, painting the world a blinding white. The village looked like a scene from a children's book, with gingerbread houses and pathways made from melted sugar. It was picturesque enough, but it was also bloody cold. I told Ellavin to remain inside the house, I didn't know how the rest of the village would react to an outsider, let alone an elf. It was best she stayed hidden, for the time being at least.
~<><><>~
I spent the rest of the day at work, carving away in my workshop in the village. I couldn't get Ellavin out of my mind. Her eyes, her hair, her smile. She was so... snap out of it! She was an elf, she had her brother to go home to. I was just nursing her, keeping her safe until she was well enough to leave. Her brother would protect her. And she couldn't be exposed to my other... form, it was too dangerous. I was too unpredictable as a bear, I could easily kill her. But that elf, her fiancée, he abused her. Hatred twisted in my guts, I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts my hand slipped and the carving knife I was using sliced my palm open. I swore loudly.
"Potty mouth," said a familiar voice.
"Shut up Delwyn," I growled, getting up and grabbing some bandages from the medicine chest. Delwyn raised one snow white eyebrow. He wasn't much older than me, but his hair was pure white. His other form was a polar bear so I suppose it made sense.
"So... What were you thinking about?" He asked.
"So... Why are you such a nosy git?" I imitated. Delwyn raised the other eyebrow.
"Someones in a foul mood today," he said, turning back to his work. I bandaged my hand up, ignoring the blood already seeping through the material. The workshop door opened and closed. I looked up.
~<><><>~
Lynn. She was Delwyn's mate, and by far one of the most beautiful women in the village. I always joked about how the ugly ones always get lucky, which Delwyn hated me for, but a blind man could see how in love they both were. She had long black hair and striking blue eyes, with tanned skin as warm as sunshine. Her voice was lilting and soft, and her smile was like the first rays of light through the winter clouds. Despite her dazzling beauty, Lynn wasn't really my type. I tended to prefer redheads (No one in particular...) and Delwyn would use my head as a football if I went anywhere near his mate.
~<><><>~
"I guessed you two might be hungry," she said, smiling at us softly. Delwyn looked up from his work and grinned, going over to Lynn and kissing her full on the lips. I looked away immediately, a little uncomfortable. I heard nothing after a minute or so and cleared my throat awkwardly. Lynn blushed and pulled away from her mate.
"Enough, you're embarrassing your friend," she chuckled, hitting him playfully. Delwyn smirked at her.
"He doesn't mind..." He went to kiss her again.
"He minds a lot actually, so once you two have stopped tonguing I'd quite like my lunch," I piped up. Delwyn ignored me but Lynn pushed him away.
"I said enough," she said flatly, coming over to me. I smiled at her.
"Afternoon Lynn."
She smiled warmly back .
"Afternoon Beorn," she said "How've you been keeping?"
"Alright," I replied "Nearly got my fingers bitten off in that snowstorm though."
"You were out in that?!" She exclaimed, looking genuinely worried "You're mad."
I just shrugged.
"I'm still alive, it's alright."
Lynn just chuckled and handed me my lunch. Honey sandwiches. Of course.