Madman

Naamah led Enoch up the citadel, ducking into narrow alleys and scaling half-hidden staircases that took them out of the sight of the guards, who were still watching the battle at the river intently.

When they approached the top, Enoch was sure that the guards in front of Cain's doorway would see them. But just then, the Herabites overran Lamech's defense at the river, and Cain's own guards ran to the railings to watch in horror. They were shaking, knowing that it was only a matter of moments before their citadel would be under attack. 

Enoch and Naamah crept to the massive timber door. Beside the door, a guard had left his sword. Enoch picked it up and put his hand on the door. It swung open without a sound.

They slipped inside and Naamah closed the door behind them, sliding the timber bar across the door to prevent intrusion. Enoch walked down the center of the chamber. Never before had he seen a room that could easily hold one hundred people. But he had no eyes for the stone columns or timbers that framed the arched roof. He could only stare at the throne, and the man on it, head bowed, not moving.

The man he remembered from his childhood had been old, but strong and fierce. The man that sat hunched before him now appeared frail. Enoch wondered what possibly could have happened that would have contributed such deterioration in such a short span of time. Then he remembered that only a few years ago, he had heard the news that Cain's wife had died. Had that affected a brutal tyrant so much?

Naamah had only been allowed in this place a few times in her life. But she had never seen it like this - empty but for one man. Not even the hanging oil lamps were lit. The only light was the harsh sunlight falling in through the columns that allowed Cain to look out over the river and to the forests beyond. The sounds of battle reached even here.

They stood before the throne. Cain unmoving from the time they had entered. 

"Do what you came to do," Cain growled in a low voice full of defeat. Enoch hesitated before stepping up toward him, raising the sword and holding the blade to Cain's bent neck. The blade nestled gently between wisps of thinning white hair.  Naamah stood frozen in shock, her breathing shallow.

"And if I do this," Enoch said quietly. "Will I gain back my mother alive and well for all the years she has lain in the grave after she was slain by your hand? Or will I laugh to see my father run again on the legs you rendered lame?"

"Who are you?" Cain asked, raising his head to meet Enoch's eyes.

"A Sethite," Enoch replied.

"A Sethite!" Then Cain laughed - a hideous chortling sound.

"Seth truly takes my place.  In the affections of my mother, in life, and in death,"   Cain hissed. "My reckoning is come and it is greater than I can bear. Do what you came to do!"

Enoch lowered the blade, and took a step back. Naamah let out a sigh of relief.

Scowling, Cain finally saw Naamah standing behind Enoch. 

"I did not come to kill you," Enoch said. "I came to know if the god of the Cainites was divine or a fraud? I have my answer. The judgement you have sown will now be reaped. I questioned Seth many times before why God would let you live for such crimes and wickedness you have committed. I wrestled with the unfairness of it. Yet I see that Seth was right."

Enoch looked at Naamah.

"Judgement finally falls on your people today, but not all your descendants will share in the fate you designed for them. Here is one that held to the faith you sought to destroy. She will carry on your bloodline - in faith!"

Enoch turned away from Cain and strode to the door, Naamah following close behind him.

Cain watched them. Light had returned to his eyes for the first time in an age.