Forest

A dragon battling a Sethite in the middle of Nod was the last thing Tubal-Cain was thinking about as he motioned his men deeper into the forest shadows. They all were equipped with swords, but in addition he had them all take bows and plenty of arrows - weapons of choice when on the hunt for desperate men.

In the dark hours of early morning, they had discovered where Caleb's band had reached the opposite shore - the sandbar was strewn with the boats they had commandeered in their escape. 

Immediately they began tracking the fugitives, but Tubal did not give in to his urge to rush forward - carelessly. Although he was sure they could outrun him in the beginning, he was also certain that they were not native to this region. They could not know the terrain as well as he and his men did. They would not have friends close by. They were alone - no allies to rely on. They would run desperately at first, and as they slowed due to a lack of supplies and food, Tubal would close in. He was prepared for a weeks-long pursuit if needed. They had plenty of provisions, and an easy ride back to Nod to replenish what they needed.

The Cainite army was also still returning from their war with the Herabites. Azrael had returned only last night. The army would still be a couple day's march at least before they recrossed the Euphrates and entered Nod again.

Morning came and their tracking became much easier than finding the trail left by the escaped captives by torchlight. The tracks were leading upward through some rocky crags. 

From time to time, they could catch clear views of Nod - the mountainous outcropping that rose high above the rest of the island clearly outlined in the morning sun.

From this distance, Tubal really noticed the uniform shape becoming obvious. The mountain no longer resembled a natural growth of the landscape. Rather, it looked man-made now - it had been chiseled and carved to supply rock for Nod's walls, but in such a way to leave a clear...

"My lord!" A solider was whispering. Tubal turned his back to his city.

"We've been following a fake trail. Our runners have already discovered that it simply turns back on itself at the top of the mountain."

"Did we miss their real route?" Tubal pressed. Then he remembered the stream they had passed through only a few minutes earlier. The captives must have used it to cover their tracks. Tubal's men had scoped it up and down-stream for at least one hundred paces, but their quarry must had been extra careful and taken a long time to set out on a new heading.

Back at the stream, Tubal sent a few men to see if the trail reappeared at any point downstream. But his senses told him that they had gone upstream. Many of the streams in this area originated from hot springs that bubbled up into watery caverns, similar to the caves Herab had claimed for him and his descendants. Perhaps these fugitives had sought refuge likewise.

As they grew nearer and nearer the stream's source, he had his men wait in the forest. He went ahead, only taking one man with him, but circled way around to the left as carefully as possible. When he was sure he was above the spring, they both crept slowly down until they found themselves almost overlooking the mouth of the cavern that housed the stream's origins. 

He was immensely gratified when he spied out two figures almost buried in foliage, perched above the rim of the cave. They were almost motionless, watching for any pursuers coming up the stream. Depending on the layout of the cave, if they sounded the alarm, the fugitives could either retreat deep into the cave - many of the local caves had multiple outlets - or they could retreat up the hillside and the chase would resume.

Tubal didn't want to resume the chase. Their flight ended here. It ended now.

He had plenty of experience tracking down escaped slaves and running down fleeing villagers in these hills. He knew where the lookouts would be placed, and he had found them. 

He sent the soldier back with precise instructions - wait 10 minutes, then advance with all speed, and from as many directions as possible.

He waited quietly, using the time to make certain that these were the only lookouts posted.

Then he laid two arrows on the forest floor, drew one, and let it fly.

Hardly had the first one skewered its victim than he already had the second arrow drawn back and fired at the next target. Heads dropping, neither man made a sound, and he noted that no alarm was raised. 

He crept to the rim of the cave and peered downward. Far back inside the cave, he could see men taking shelter there - their slaves' garments tattered and torn. It appeared that one or more was wounded. Tubal wondered if they had encountered a wild animal - perhaps one of Herab's vicious beasts that had gotten loose.

Now if the cave led back into the mountain a long ways, the next part was risky. Total surprise had to be achieved. Tubal had no desire to hunt for longer than needed. 

In the darkness, surrounded by his comrades that had endured so much, Caleb prayed - trying not to despair. 

He repeated the words of Adam's prophesy over and over, trying to uncover some hidden meaning that he had not noticed before. But the words were simple. No subtle meanings from them could be pried, as hard as he tried.

"Go down unto Nod, for there will come my messenger, through whom the world will know my voice again. And a new enemy."

Caleb's bowed his head. 

But the messenger has fallen!

Tubal felt his men approaching before he saw or heard them. He dropped down into the steaming waters flowing out of the mouth of the cave. He rose, the hot water dripping from his cloak as his ready arrow pointed at the men caught in the cave's throat. 

"No slave escapes from Nod, and lives!" He said smoothly. He shot the arrow, and as it found its target, a hundred Cainite arrows flew past him into the depths of the cave. Tubal's men formed up behind him, lowering their quivering bows. They pulled their shining iron blades and rushed forward.

The tallest victim was trying to stand, five arrows sticking out of his body. Tubal raised his blade and plunged it downward.

And it was over. His ambush was a complete success.