Premonition

It was time. Enoch felt uneasy. He could feel that things he didn't understand were spiraling out of control, and he decided it was time that he extracted himself from whatever was coming before it was too late.

He had gone to Nod as Seth had wished him to, although not in the way Seth had imagined. He had witnessed Heaven's messengers descend upon the earth - never would the reverberations of their coming dissipate in the memory or mankind, of that he was certain. He has heard their message - the world must remember their place in creation, and embrace their submission to heaven's rule. Resistance and arrogance among mankind needed to be stamped out if peace and harmony would have a chance to be achieved. 

The angels didn't have much time. Enoch knew that from their own admission. Herab had accused them of being renegade in their coming to earth, but Enoch knew that was a lie. Why would angels give up so much, risk so much, just to instruct a disobedient and obstinate race of inferior beings? Herab's accusations didn't add up.

But Enoch knew their time was short. Whatever mission they had been assigned, it was not supposed to last indefinitely. Azrael had selected Naamah as Cain's successor. Enoch sighed. He wished he could stay and help her. But if he did, who would help his own people? His grandfather and father? He longed to return to them, find them wherever they had taken refuge after the Cainite attack, and finally take them to Eden. 

Even if Nod would be ruled by Naamah, there was still Tubal who would be leading their armies. And Enoch didn't want to be anywhere near Nod while Tubal had such power. 

He longed to learn more from the angels. He felt as if he had only just begun to absorb their knowledge and wisdom. But now it seemed impossible. Their time was short, and now one of their own had been ruthlessly taken in a ploy to destroy them.

It all unnerved him. It didn't feel right, and he couldn't put his finger on any one thing that was wrong. It just all added up to the sensation of an impending horror that he was too blind or too stupid to see. 

And so he wanted out. He had had enough of the city. The bloodline of Cain had only caused him and his family pain. He had lived among them for the last several weeks, willing to put the past behind him for the sake of the angels. And even for Naamah's sake. 

She was unlike anyone he had ever met. Even in his own village, he had been the odd one - always dreaming of life beyond the next mountain, and always eager to understand humanity's place among the stars, and desperate to know the Creator of the stars and His purpose for their existence. Naamah was a kindred spirit. They shared the thirst to know what lay beyond.

He had endured the filth of Nod for her too. Leaving Nod would mean leaving her - probably the closest thing to a true friend he had ever had. Secretly, he had entertained thoughts of inviting her to come with him, of leaving Nod behind when the angels departed, and going with him to uncover whatever was left in the land of Eden far up the Euphrates river. He thought of getting her out of the oppressiveness of the island city she had never left, and they could discover the world together.

And then, she had been appointed by Azrael to lead her people in his place. And any hopes Enoch had harbored had been instantly and silently extinguished. But he knew it was how it must be - only Naamah would fight for her people and her faith. She was the messenger her people needed.

Enoch had started gathering his things in his quarters, as he had made up his mind to escape the city that very night. But that last thought stilled his busy hands. 

"To Nod I will send my messenger..." He wondered if the interpretation of these words could include Naamah also taking up Azrael's responsibilities. Was Azrael the one to bring the message and Naamah the one who would preserve the message.

Enoch trembled at the thought - Naamah could very possibly be part of the fulfillment of Adam's prophetic vision!

A quiet knock on the door of his quarters drove the thought from his mind as if someone had literally pounded on his door. He wondered who might be knocking so late.

He wasn't expecting it to be Cain. The old man entered his small, dimly-lit room and removed his hood. Enoch's one candle cast just enough light across the old man's wrinkled face for Enoch to see the infamous mark there.

"What do you want?" Enoch asked stiffly.

"What can any disposed monarch long for? His home back." Cain said, a sly smile on his lips. "I know that the angels have other plans in mind for my old throne - I'm rather surprised they haven't sat in that seat themselves, but perhaps a case could be made that they have figuratively done so more effectively than I ever did so in reality."

"What of... your granddaughter?" Enoch managed, dreading Cain's reply.

"You don't need to fear me, boy. At least, not anymore. And you need not fear for her. I tried to kill her once. It was a mistake only divine intervention saved me from committing."

"But she is to lead Nod when the angels are gone. That's what they said."

"And she will, when she is ready," Cain said earnestly. "The angels have taught me many things as well as the rest of you. Unquestioned for centuries of rule, I languished and withered. Their coming and usurpation of my rule has made me realize how much I love my people. I cannot let them go. I will not die crownless." 

Enoch was quiet. He was afraid. Cain should not be telling him about a plot to take back control of Nod. Why would he trust a Sethite with such a tale, if that Sethite were not an accomplice, or disposable... or both? Neither option was comforting.

Cain laughed, realizing how Enoch was feeling.

"I had always planned for another to take my place. If both brother and sister lead my people when I am gone, I can die a happy man. But not all is what it seems, and I fear that their future may be in grave danger. You'll understand the wisdom of what I say."

Cain held out a long, dark cloak to Enoch. Enoch recognized the style of garment.

"This is a Watcher's cloak," he said in surprise.

"You'll need it where we're going," Cain replied, nodding. He wasn't smiling anymore.

"You want me to follow you?" Enoch said. Cain nodded once more.

"No. I can't. I'm leaving!" Enoch said, exasperated, pointing to the bag on his mat.

"I see," Cain replied. "I understand. This isn't your people, it's not your fight."

"That's right."

"But you do want to understand why the angels came, do you not? To comprehend their real message for mankind? This is what I will show you - the truth they have kept from you. From everyone! And then you can be on your way, I won't stop you. I promise."

"How can I trust you?"

"If you leave Nod, I don't need to fear that you will betray my plans, do I?" Cain said, again offering him the cloak.

Enoch took it.