The Female Alpha 4- Captured

Rhys's P.O.V

Doonra was a small village located in the valley of the middle Himalayas, just outside of Shiwalik. This is as far as I could get using my personal chopper, the rest, we'll have to trek on foot. Behind it, the thin pebbled road began its twisting ascend upwards to the snowy mountains that stretched for miles and ended in the far higher ranges of the Greater Himalayas.

The densely snowy lands of the mountain that'll lead to our destination started about 10 Kilometers north of this village. It was there that the spies were killed. It's already been eighteen hours since the annihilation and judging by the dark snow clouds overhead, it had snowed overnight. I highly doubt we would find any trace of the attacker's scent or their bodies.

I, Zyane and four other fighters sat in a small tea shop, pretending to be hikers while we tried to get as much information out of these unsuspecting humans as we could. We had warm clothes on, but it wasn't helping much. We needed high insulating thermos for the trek upwards and we didn't seem to have them in our trunks. Winters in Jever have never been this severe.

Our wolves kept us warm but we were desert wolves. Our fur built to prevent heat not cold. So it was needless to say that we were highly....uncomfortable in this new environment. Maybe we wouldn't feel the cold as much once we started hiking.

"We should head out," Zyane said, sitting next to me on the small wooden bench, a cup of blistering hot tea in hand. "Sun's coming up; we need to cover a few miles at the least before the snowstorm hits."

"You're right. Tell them to prepare. We leave in ten minutes." I said pointing towards the fighters who were admiring a few young women in colorful mekhlas. The people here hardly wore more than a thin sweater and looked perfectly comfortable in them, while we had four layers of woolens on and were still shivering.

We gathered all our belongings and stood up. Just as we were about to leave, a light feminine voice stopped us in our tracks.

"Are you going up the hills, Sahib (sir)?" Asked the voice. We all turned in unison to look at the girl who had spoken.

She was young, around 16 or 17years. Her long dark brown hair was braided into two tight plaits on either side of her head and she wore a light green sweater with white embroidered flowers and the skirt of her mekhla was a light brown with flower patterns. Her scarf covered her neck and ears. But the most remarkable feature about her was her eye. It had a cat-like golden gleam to it. In any other situation I would've called her a shifter, but the cold was numbing her scent so I couldn't tell. Mostly, she appeared human.

"Yes. We thought we might as well cover some ground before nightfall," I replied to her with the truth.

"Be careful though. There's a storm coming." She nodded towards the darkening sky and left after bidding us goodbye.

What was that all about? I decided not to read too much into it, she might be just a village girl expressing concern for travelers. But that was when I noticed then that Zyane had gone very, very still beside me. I followed his line of sight to find him looking at the retreating figure of the village girl like he was obsessed with her. His eyes devoured her every movement like he was scared she'd disappear forever. At first I thought it had to do with her unnatural eyes, but when he wouldn't even look away after a full five minutes of staring, it clicked.

"Damnit! You can't be serious!" I hissed out low enough so only he could hear.

"Huh? What?" he looked like he had just been broken out of a trance.

"We. Need. To. Leave." I gritted out each word, trying to make him see reason. "She's human, Zyane. She'll weaken the pack".

Suddenly, his expression turned to anger. "Everything is not about power, Rhys!"But he didn't do anything else. Instead he left to join the fighters, leaving me confused and irritated.