Buns Of Stiles

In which Derek is superman/reporter and Stiles is a detective

- - - - - -

Stiles would love to be able to say that he figured out the biggest mystery of Metropolis thanks to his amazing detective skills, but that would be a lie. He figured it out because he was an absolutely awful human being.

He'd been on the force for years now, gradually working his way up to follow in his father's footsteps. And his dad had never been as proud as the day when Stiles had finally gotten the position of detective. They were pretty good with mysteries those Stilinski men. Yet neither of them had ever been able to figure out who hid behind the glorious haircurl and the red cape – and for a brief period of very questionable fashion sense, the red panties pulled on over the blue spandex... seriously, what was the guy thinking?

And it wasn't for lack of trying, oh no. Stiles had been working on this ever since Superman's first appearance. Fresh out of the academy and feeling ready for anything the world would throw at him on the job, Stiles had started chasing those red panties like his life depended on it. Yet after all these years, still no luck. Sometimes amazing detective skills just don't cut it, sometimes you need just that little extra clue to fall into your lap.

Oh god, did Stiles ever wish it had fallen in his lap.

The clue came in the form of an absolutely adorkable reporter named Derek Hale. Although at the time, Stiles obviously didn't know that glorious man would mean the breakthrough in a case he'd all but given up on. Oh no, at the time, Stiles could only think of one thing.

Derek Hale's pretty face. It had never been a secret that Stiles was a sucker for a pretty face (in some lucky cases literally), and he'd never really cared about whether that pretty face was situated on top of a woman or a man. What? He appreciated the human form. All of it.

Anyway, getting back to the face of this specific adorkable reporter. He came to the station one day, quietly introducing himself to Stiles. A firm handshake accompanied by a disappointing lack of eye-contact.

Stiles usually hates reporters, but this one... it's like his thing, this whole thing the guy has going on makes his presscard invisible. The whole geek aesthetic thing with the glasses and the white dress shirt somehow looking sharp but clumsy at the same time and please let's not forget the freaking bunny teeth.

Of course it also helps that Derek Hale is actually a nice guy. He doesn't push like other reporters always do. Not that he doesn't try to get an answer from Stiles, it's just that he knows when to quit. Stiles never thought it was possible but in meeting Derek, Stiles actually managed to meet the one respectful reporter in the whole of Metropolis.

The whole interview about some gang of carthieves was mostly a blur of "So can you tell me about..." and "I'm sorry but that's information we can't disclose at this point."

"Thanks for the interview, detective Stilinski."

"No problem, mister Hale. It was my pleasure," Derek looked briefly taken aback by that statement, but he recovered quickly. "I'm sorry I couldn't give you more, but... you know how it is." Stiles gave him an apologetic smile.

Derek answered with a warm smile of his own. "Yes, of course. I'm just glad you caught the guys."

"Ha. Well we can't leave it up to Superman to catch every simple thief." Derek tensed up at the mention of Superman.

"So, how come I've never seen you around the station before? New in town?" Stiles was fairly certain that wasn't the case, because the coffee cup Derek came in with was from a tiny place only people who'd been here a while really dared to go into. The café looked kind of nasty from the outside.