Tourist

By: rainsoakedshoes
.

Derek clutched the map to his chest and looked around. None of the street names looked familiar.

He was officially lost.

He was lost in Poland.

This was just great.

Derek spun in a circle. He didn't even know which direction he had come from now.

"Are you lost?" a voice asked from behind him. At least Derek spoke Polish.

Derek turned around and came face to face with a twenty something year old man.

"Are you lost?" He asked again.

Derek nodded. "I am looking for – uh – the Sheraton?"

"You're not too far." The man pointed at a street to the right. "You want to go that way. Then take the first left. You can't miss the Sheraton." Derek was nodding along, although the expression on his face made it abundantly clear that he wasn't very confident in his ability to follow instruction. "I can show you the way if you want?" The man offered.

Derek sighed in relief. "That would be...great. Thank you."

The man turned and walked briskly away. Derek followed him.

"I am Derek by the way," Derek said when he caught up.

"Stiles."

"Stiles?" Derek repeated.

"I don't want to tire your American tongue by making you pronounce my real name," Stiles said with a cheeky smile.

"Is my Polish that bad?" Derek asked.

Stiles shrugged. "Not as bad as some tourists."

Derek looked at Stiles as they walked. "Do you speak English?" Derek didn't mind speaking Polish, but he would feel a lot more comfortable if he could switch to English.

"Sorry. No."

"It's okay. Do you live here?"

"Yes," Stiles nodded. "My family is originally from south of here. But my grandmother has been living in Warsaw since my grandfather passed away. What are you doing walking the streets of the city by yourself?"

"My sisters," Derek explained. "They wanted to shop. They told me I could stay with them, or go back to the hotel."

"And obviously you chose the hotel," Stiles laughed. "I don't blame you. How long are you in Poland for?"

"A week," Derek said. "We were in France, then Germany, now here. We fly home after we are done here."

"Where is home?"

"America," Derek said before clarifying. "California."

The Sheraton was in view now. Derek couldn't believe that he had gotten himself turned around so easily. He had been closer than he'd realised.

"If you don't have other plans we could get coffee?" Stiles suggested suddenly. "My favourite place isn't too far from here."

Derek thought about it for a moment. All he would be doing was hanging around his hotel room until Cora and Laura got back. Going to coffee with Stiles sounded like the better option.

"I would like that."

*

The café Stiles led Derek to was a small place with large glass doors that were open wide. Tables and chairs spilled out onto the sidewalk, blurring the line between inside and outside.