CHAPTER 1: Now

Outside, day has finally settled into night. The curtains are pulled aside and I can see that the sky is clear, with a slight crescent of a moon hanging in the corner. A breeze travels in through the open window and I shiver slightly.

I’ve been sitting here beside him, holding his hand for a while now. I watch him breathe; each inhale seems like a struggle and each exhale a shudder. I look down at both of my hands, enveloped around his.

It’s ironic; I can still remember that fateful day when he had held one of my hands in both of his. That was nearly a year ago. I stare at his beautiful face, and am startled when his eyelids flutter open slightly.

“Jenny?” He speaks in a whispery tone.

“I’m here, Harry,” I say quietly, wanting so much for him to know that I would never leave him. Harry closes his eyes again, seeming at peace. It is silent for a moment and I thought he had fallen asleep again.

“Tell me our story,” Harry whispers, squeezing my hand lightly. His eyes are still closed but his lips slowly curl upwards. I am still amazed at the beauty of his smile despite the countless times I have seen it.

All of a sudden, I can’t bear the thought of losing him and the tears that had been forming in my eyes threaten to break free. Instead, I focus on his face and wipe away the tears clouding my vision.

I take a deep breath, and with a shaky voice, I begin, reliving the past.